Learn how to move your products and services info from Excel to QuickBooks Online.
With QuickBooks Online’s Import feature, you can add your products and services lists in your company without entering them manually. Follow the steps below to efficiently copy your lists.
Things to remember
Import your products and services
- Go to Settings ⚙️, then select Import Data.
- Select Products and Services.
- On the Import Products and Services page, select Browse.
- Find and choose your Excel file. Select Open, then Next.
- Map your info. Your Field represents the headers on your spreadsheet. From each ▼ drop-down menu, select the one which corresponds to each QuickBooks Online field.
- Product/Service Name - up to 100 characters only. Can’t use tabs and other special characters.
- Quantity as-of Date - can’t use a date format that starts with the year. For example: 2018/06/30 or 2018-06-30.
- Income and Expense account - can’t use sub-accounts. Make sure you select the proper accounts or it will affect your reporting.
- Select Next.
Some cells are highlighted in red.This means the value in that cell (from the Excel file) is either invalid or not yet available on your company file. You need to fix the issue directly in the Excel file. Select Back, then Cancel. Change the info in the cell with the error, then repeat steps 1 to 6.
- Mark the Overwrite all values checkbox for each product or service that you import with the identical name. (This can’t be undone.)
- Select Import.
Import products and services with sub-categories and sub-items
If your products and services have sub-categories or sub-items, you need to change how they are formatted in your Excel file so they can be imported correctly.
Categories and sub-categories
In the Products/Services field, use the following formats:
- With category only: [Name of category]:[Name of product/service].
- With sub-category: [Name of category]:[Name of sub-category]:[Name of product/service].
Example: The category is Size, sub-category is Colour, and the product is Shirt.
Items and sub-items
Instead of using just one row, you need to have a row for each element in your spreadsheet.
Example: The sub-item is Size, sub-sub-item is Colour, and the product (item) is T-Shirt.