With QuickBooks Online, you can now save time by submitting your prepared VAT return, using our QuickBooks online submission.

Before you start, please ensure that you have already registered to submit your VAT return using the online submission service from HMRC.

If you have not, you can access the HMRC website to help you with this.

Once you have all your necessary credentials, you would be familiar with the HMRC Government Gateway login screen, (as shown below). These details will be required later and during the submission process of your VAT return.

HMRC Government Gateway

To submit your VAT return online via the HMRC Government Gateway

1. Login to QuickBooks online and from the left menu select Taxes and you will be redirected to your Tax centre. Click onto the VAT section, if you are not already redirected to this page.

VAT screen
VAT centre 1

1. When you are ready to submit your VAT return, to the right, click the Submit return action link where you will be redirected to your VAT Return

Submit Return

1. Beside the Submit return action link is a drop-down arrow. Click this to view the following three reports:
  • View summary
  • View VAT details
  • View exception details

To Submit your VAT return, simply click Prepare Return

Prepare VAT Return

1. When you have checked the figures and you are ready to submit your VAT return, click the button Submit to HMRC located at the bottom of your screen.
Submit to HMRC
  1. You then enter your HMRC Government Gateway credentials. Here you are required to enter your Government Gateway User ID and Government Gateway Password
Sign in and submit to HMRC
  1. Now click Yes, I want to proceed
Yes I want to proceed
  1. Depending on your internet connection, this submission process should be swift.
Connecting to HMRC 1
  1. During the process of submission, you will see a number of on-screen messages. One that you will become familiar with is that Your return has landed safely and is Pending with HMRC.
You can either wait this out, or alternatively, click Close and continue working.

Pending with HMRC

The pending status 'Pending with HMRC' again depends on the timing of both your own internet connections and how busy the HMRC website is.

If your VAT submission is successful, you may see the message 'Approved by HMRC', although this depends on the timings and whether you are patiently waiting on the response or continuously working on other tasks or areas at the time of the alert.

Status of filed return

List of returns

1. You can review any VAT return that has been sent to HMRC, by simply clicking the View return action link.
VAT detail report
  1. Beside the View return link, click the drop-down arrow, which then displays the following reports:
  • View VAT details
  • View exception details
  • Record refund
  1. To record your VAT payments, from the Submitted returns section, click the Record payment, as shown below
Record Payment
Record Payment 2
  1. This will open up a VAT payment record. Select Payment as the Payment type and complete the rest of the details.
  2. When finished click Save and the payment will automatically move from the Submitted returns section and relocate to the Paid returns section of the VAT centre.

To record a refund, follows a similar procedure, however, instead of selecting Payment, you select Refund.

At times, the submission may not be successful and may reject due to a number of possible reasons. These reasons could potentially be one of the following:

• Incorrect User ID or Password or both
  • Poor internet connections causing the push and pull of data to fail or time out
  • No information or data within the period you are trying to file
  • Trying to submit a VAT return for a future period prior to the beginning date of when your qualified for VAT
  • Trying to submit a VAT return before your VAT setting start period
  • The Flat Rate Scheme is currently not supported for online submission to HMRC.

In addition to the above reasons of failed submissions, you may well receive the message that your VAT return submission has been rejected by HMRC.

If this is the case, you may be presented with the following message, where you may revisit the bullet points mentioned above, or alternatively contact our Customer Care team here for help.

Rejected by HMRC Error message 1 Error message 2

Below are some symbols that visibly inform you of the status regarding your online submissions for your VAT returns

VAT detail report

Failed VAT Submission

At times, your VAT submission may not be successful and may reject due to a number of possible reasons. You can find out more about why the submission failed by hovering over the Rejected status. These reasons could potentially be one of the following:

• Incorrect User ID or Password or both.
User-added image
  • Poor internet connections causing the push and pull of data to fail or time out.
  • No information or data within the period you are trying to file.
  • Trying to submit a VAT return for a future period prior to the beginning date of when your qualified for VAT.
  • Trying to submit a VAT return before your VAT setting start period.

In addition to the above reasons of failed submissions, you may well receive the message that your VAT return submission has been rejected by HMRC.

VAT Submissions Rejected by HMRC

If your VAT submission has been rejected by HMRC, you may be presented with the following message, where you may revisit the bullet points mentioned above, or alternatively contact our Customer Care team here for help.

User-added image

To Re-submit your VAT Return after a failed attempt

To re-submit your VAT return after submission failure, follow these steps.

1. Click on Taxes on the left, then VAT.
  2. Find your failed submission showing the Rejected status within the Submitted returns and click the Resubmit return action link to the right.
User-added image
  1. On the VAT return click Resubmit to HMRC to go through the submission process again.
User-added image

FAQ's

I am unable to see the Submit to HMRC button?

Currently, QuickBooks Online does not support Flat Rate Scheme (FRS) or Annual Submissions for a direct online submission service to HMRC. However, this is a feature that we may consider in the future.

I have made a mistake and need to re-submit my VAT return. How do I un-file my VAT Return?

Unfortunately, you cannot un-file your VAT return and will not be able to re-submit your VAT return for the same period, once received and approved by HMRC

QuickBooks follows the HMRC process that any adjustments that need to be made to a VAT return already submitted to HMRC, will typically, require the necessary adjustments to be made in a subsequent VAT return. For Example, if an error has been made in a June VAT return, the presumption is for any adjustments to be made in the next submission for the July VAT return.

Will QuickBooks remember my HMRC Gateway User ID and Password?

Not currently. However, you are able to save your HMRC User ID and Password, using your browser. You just simply click the prompt where the text will read similar to 'remember my password' . You then simply click Save or Yes.

My User ID and password for my Government Gateway to HMRC is correct? Why is it still failing to connect?

If you have upper case letters in your password please enter these as lower case when you are entering your credentials in QuickBooks Online.

Also, please ensure that there are no spaces between characters when adding your VAT registration number within your VAT Settings in QuickBooks Online.

If you have a GB within your VAT registration number, please delete the GB at the beginning of your VAT registration number. You will find this in the Edit VAT Settings section

Where's my next month's submission - Why is it not listed on the VAT page?

As a control, your next's month submission will only appear, once you have submitted and or filed your current period's VAT return.

So, for example, if you submit your VAT returns on a monthly basis and you are currently within the June period, but have yet to submit May's return - Then, your June's return will not appear within the VAT screen, until you have submitted your May's VAT return.

My VAT Return has been rejected - What do I do now?

You have two choices. You can either submit your return manually, or try submitting to HMRC again using the online submission method.

• To do this open your VAT summary, using the drop-down arrow and then click the Submit to HMRC button again. Ensure that you check your HMRC Government Gateway credentials, before you try to reconnect to the HMRC portal.

To manually submit your VAT return, without using the direct online submission from QuickBooks, simply login to HMRC's website here.