Learn how to update the latest release of QuickBooks Desktop.
You can update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release either manually or automatically. If you turn on Automatic Update, you're allowing QuickBooks to download the latest updates, whether or not the program is running. If you wish to turn this feature off, we recommend manually updating QuickBooks once a month.
We explain how to update your QuickBooks Desktop both ways.
A few words about upgrading
Updating to a new release (example: R3P to R5P) usually requires a minor change to the database. These changes will not make the data file incompatible with earlier releases.
This is different than upgrading to a new product version (example: 2017 to 2018) where the changes are major.
Do you have the latest QuickBooks Desktop patch?
- With QuickBooks Desktop open, press the F2 key (or Ctrl+1) on your keyboard.
- On the Product Information window, check the current version and release.
- Check the latest release available for your product:
Manual update: 3 options
Option 1: Download from the Internet
Select the appropriate link for your QuickBooks version. When you run this installer, it will update your existing software to the latest release instead of reinstalling the product. You won't need your license or product number to do this.
Option 2: From within QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to the File menu, then select Close Company/Logoff. (If you open multiple company files in QuickBooks Desktop, you have to do this step for every company that is open.)
- Go back to the File menu, then select Exit.
- Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon on your desktop, then select Run as administrator.
- While on the No Company Open screen, go to the Help menu then choose Update QuickBooks...
- Go to the Options tab, then select Mark All. Select Save.
- Go to the Update Now tab, then mark the Reset Update box.
- Select Get Updates button.
- When Update Complete appears, close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Reopen QuickBooks Desktop. If you get the message to install update, select Yes.
- When the installation is complete, restart your computer.
If you have a Payroll subscription, download the latest payroll tax table to process payroll in QuickBooks Desktop. Note that your Payroll subscription must be active.
Download latest tax tablehere.
Option 3: Critical Fixes (ULIP)
ULIP (Ultra Light Patch) is a feature in QuickBooks Desktop where minor critical fixes can be delivered without the need for an actual release patch. The patch release process will continue as is (R releases such as 2017 R5).
Use the same steps as Option 2 to apply the critical fixes. Ensure Critical Fixes is selected before you download the updates.
Automatic update: 3 options
Option 1: Download and install automatic update NOW
- From the QuickBooks Help menu, select Update QuickBooks.
- On the Update QuickBooks window, go to the Update Now tab. You can ignore the table because you don't need to change anything.
- (Optional) Put a check mark in the box Reset Update box to erase all previous update downloads. (Note: This may increase the amount of time needed for the update.)
- Select Get Updates.
- Restart QuickBooks. When prompted, accept the option to install the new release.
Option 2: Download automatically in the future
- From the Help menu, select Update QuickBooks.
- On the Update QuickBooks window, go to the Options tab.
- To turn on automatic updates, select the radio button for Yes.
- (Optional) To share automatic downloads with other computers on your network, select the radio button for Yes.
- Select Close. QuickBooks will now download the update when it's released.
To update QuickBooks Database Server Manager, see Install, Update, and Set up the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.