We're sorry to see you want to cancel your QuickBooks Online subscription. This article will help you cancel your paid subscription or trial version, but please make sure you read through all of the information here to ensure you have the best experience.
- Need to cancel QuickBooks Desktop? Go to Customer Account Management Portal (CAMPs) to cancel your Desktop subscription.
- Can't sign in to your QuickBooks Online Company? Reset your password or recover your user ID before proceeding.
- Purchased your subscription from your accountant? Contact your accountant for cancellation, as the steps are different than what is outlined here.
- Purchased your subscription from an app store? Follow these steps to unsubscribe or cancel a QuickBooks Online subscription purchased through an app store (iOS or Android).
Not sure you want to cancel?
Need more features? If you’re cancelling your account because you want more features, take a look at: How to upgrade my QuickBooks Online subscription
Need more help? If you're struggling to learn the in's and out's of QuickBooks Online? Check out our updated YouTube tutorials.
What you need to know before you cancel
- You must be signed into your QuickBooks company as the Master Administrator or Company Administrator.
- Print all QuickBooks Online forms and reports that you might need access to in the future.
- If you have a payroll subscription, you must complete all e-payments and direct deposits before you can cancel.
- QuickBooks Online must be cancelled using a web browser. You won't be able to cancel your account from a mobile device.
- If you have suspended your account, you need to resubscribe before you can cancel.
- If you are converting to QuickBooks Desktop for Windows, be sure to export your data file. If you are using QuickBooks Online on a Mac, you cannot export to desktop yourself. Contact us for assistance.
- Canada only: If you're using QuickBooks Online with bundled Payroll, these steps will also cancel your subscription. You can also cancel just your Payroll subscription.
What happens to your data once you cancel?
The length of time QuickBooks Online stores your data depends on the status of your account.
- If you cancel a QuickBooks Online subscription you've been paying for, your data will be available in read-only access for 1 year from the cancellation date.
- If you cancel QuickBooks Online during the trial period or if your trial expires, your data will be available in read-only access for 90 days.
- If your credit card is declined at the time of billing, you'll have 14 days to update the billing information on your account. During this time, your account will remain active. After 14 days, your account will be suspended and your data will be available in read-only access for 1 year.
As long as you're within the read-only access period of your cancelled account, you'll still be able to export your data.
|Note If you resubscribe within 12 months of cancelling a paid QuickBooks Online subscription, you'll be able to access your earlier data. After 12 months, you can still resubscribe with the same credentials, but your data will no longer be available.|
Cancel your paid or trial QuickBooks Online subscription
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online.
Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar.
- Under Your Company, choose Account and Settings.
Don't see Account and Settings? You may be using QuickBooks Online Accountant. Contact your accountant to cancel, or contact us for help.
- Select Billing and Subscription.
- In the QuickBooks section, select Cancel (paid subscription) or Cancel Trial (if you’re using a trial).
- Select Continue to Cancel, then Continue to Cancel again.
- Finally, answer the exit survey questions (to help us make QuickBooks better), then scroll down and select Confirm Cancel.
We'll send you (or the administrator for your account) an email that confirms that you cancelled your QuickBooks Online subscription plan.