Find answers to frequently asked questions about 24-hour direct deposit.

If you use QuickBooks Full Service Payroll or QuickBooks Online Payroll you have access to 24-hour direct deposit. This means you have until 5 pm (PT) the business day before payday to approve payroll.

We answer your most frequently asked questions about this feature below.

Getting Started

What are the benefits of 24 hour direct deposit (DD)?

There are a number of benefits with 24-hour direct deposit, including

• Faster time to pay employees
  • Hold on to your cash for an extra day
  • Flexibility to run payroll when you need to

Is there a cost for this feature?

24 hour direct deposit is free. It's included in QuickBooks Full Service Payroll and QuickBooks Online Payroll subscriptions.

This feature is only available for what products?

This feature is supported in: 

• QuickBooks Full Service Payroll
  • QuickBooks Online Payroll

This feature is NOT supported in:

• Intuit Online Payroll
  • Intuit Full Service Payroll
  • Desktop Payroll
  • Assisted Payroll

How do I turn this feature on?

If you are a current subscriber to either QuickBooks Full Service Payroll Online (Intuit pays/files your taxes) or QuickBooks Online Payroll (you or your accountant pay/file your taxes), this feature is already turned on.

Simply date your paychecks at least one business day in the future and the direct deposits will post on time.

To add direct deposit for contractors:

1. Go to the Workers tab.
  2. Select Contractors. Then turn on direct deposit.

You'll just need to connect your bank and add your contractor's bank info. Then you're all set to start making payments.

Submission deadline

What is the cut-off time in approving payroll?

The deadline for direct deposit payroll is 5 pm Thursday PT for a Friday payday.

NOTE:  For QuickBooks Full Service Payroll, direct deposit payrolls can be submitted and approved up until 7:00 AM PT Friday (assuming Friday is the payday).

How do I know what time to submit payroll?

Sign into your account and view your employer homepage on the left-hand navigation menu. You'll find your payroll deadline under the Run Payroll button.

My bookkeeper is only in the office on Wednesdays. Can I still submit payroll on Wednesday with 24-hr direct deposit?

You can still submit payroll at the time at which you are accustomed. For example, if you normally submit payroll on Wednesday for a Friday payday, we will process your submission. And your employees will continue to see their cash arrive on payday. Now, you have the freedom to choose if you’d like to run payroll a day later.

I forgot about a holiday during the week! Can 24-hour direct deposit help?

Accounting for holidays when running payroll can often provide additional stress to employers.

Thanksgiving is a good example, as it falls on the fourth Thursday of November. An employer who pays their employees every Friday would normally run payroll on Wednesday before 5pm to make a Friday payday. However, since Thursday is a federal holiday, the employer actually has to run payroll by Tuesday on that week to pay employees before the weekend. With 24-hour Direct Deposit that employer can continue to run payroll Wednesday, knowing their employees will be paid Friday.

What happens if I miss the 5PM PT deadline?

Great question! We recommend running your payroll by at least 5 PM the day before payday in order for your employees to receive their money on time.  Payroll received after 5 PM will be processed the next available business day.  Of course, you always have the option to print checks for your employees if you prefer.

For QuickBooks Full Service Payroll, direct deposit payrolls can be submitted and approved up until 7:00 AM PT Friday (assuming Friday is the payday).

Other Questions

When can I edit my paychecks?

If you created the payroll two or more business days before your paycheck date, you have until 5 PM PT the day before payday to edit the paychecks.

Will my employees/contractors see anything different?

Employee funds may post at a different time on payday than employees are used to. They still usually post in the early morning though. Don't worry. Employees will be paid on payday.

What is same day direct deposit?

Only subscribers to QuickBooks Online Full Service Payroll can approve payroll up until 7 AM PT Friday. Employees will still receive funds on Friday.

Note Employees/contractors will see their funds post the same day but generally later in the day than payrolls approved one or more days in advance.