When you first sign into your QuickBooks Online account, you'll be directed to the home dashboard. This gives you an at-a-glance view of what's going on in your books.
|Note: If you're a new user, this content will be empty. But once you enter transactions, the dashboard updates, displaying a real-time overview of your company finances.|
Get to know the Home Dashboard
From the dashboard, you can use the Plus (+) icon on the Toolbar to do everyday tasks. If you don't see what you’re looking for on the menu, select Show to view more options.
Some of the basic tasks you can perform when you select the Plus (+) icon are:
- Creating Invoices
- Adding Expenses
- Running Payroll
- Searching for transactions
- Managing users
- Editing contact and sign-in information
|Note: The dashboard view may vary from one user at a company to another. QuickBooks Online determines what information it displays by each user’s access rights.|
Configure your company settings
There are two ways you can configure company settings:
Option 1: Go through the list of Company Settings and set them all at once.
- Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar and then Account and Settings (or Company Settings).
- Navigate using the sections on the left menu and edit as necessary.
Option 2: Configure settings as you work
When it's your first time creating a report, a setup interview window will open for you. Each setup interview has simple, straightforward questions about what you’re looking to do and how you’re planning to use the function you're using at that time.
When you answer these questions, you automatically configure your settings. You can answer some or all of the interview questions right away, or you can select Cancel. If you cancel, the next time you sign in to QuickBooks and create a report, the setup interview opens at the point where you left off.
Later, if you want to change a setting, you can still select the Gear icon and then Account and Settings (or Company Settings) at any time.
Search for transactions
You can generate a list of transactions that match a variety of search criteria you enter, such as date range, amount, and type of transaction.
Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar.
- In the Search field, enter a transaction number, a date, or an amount then select the smaller magnifying glass icon or press Enter.
- If you don't find what you need, select Advanced search.
- Use one or more filters to select the type of data you want to find. (See the filter selection example below for more details).
- To customize the results list, select the small gear icon above the table of search results, then select the column(s) you want to display.
- To print the list or export it to an Excel spreadsheet, select the Printer icon or the Export icon, respectively.
Filter Selection Example
If you want to find all transactions in the past 30 days in an amount equaling $100 you would do the following:
- Change Reference no. to Last Modified Date.
- Change Today to Past 30 Days.
- Select Search and you'll find a list of transactions.
- To narrow the list, change Date to Amount and enter 100 in the box, then select Add Filter.
Manage users and their access
Users include the Master Administrator and any other users the administrator has added. These users count toward your current user limit.
You must be a Master Administrator or a Company Administrator to add, delete, or change a user's access. To manage users, select the Gear icon on the Toolbar, then select Manage Users.
Edit contact and sign-in information
QuickBooks Online allows you to change your own name, address, phone number, email address, user ID, password, and challenge question. If you have the appropriate access, you can change another user's name, email address, and access rights.
To change your own contact and sign-in information:
Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar, then Account and Settings (or Company Settings).
Go to the Company section, then select the pencil icon under Contact info.
- Edit the information as necessary.
- Select Done.
To change contact and sign-in information for another user:
Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar, then Manage Users.
- Select the user that you want to change then Edit.
- Update the information as necessary.
|Note: You must have the appropriate permissions to change another user’s information.|
Now that you have mastered the home dashboard, you are on your way to success.