Learn how to print pay cheques in QuickBooks Desktop.
There are several ways you can print cheques from QuickBooks Desktop. We explain how in the steps below.
Print pay cheques that you saved to print at a later time
- Verify printer setup.
- From File on the top menu bar, select Printer Setup, then choose Cheque/Pay cheque.
- Ensure that you have the correct printer and Cheque Style selected, then press OK.
- Select the printer type: Continuous (Perforated Edge) or Page-oriented (Single Sheets). The default is Page-oriented (Single Sheets).
- Load the cheque forms into your printer.
- Print the pay cheque.
- Select File, then choose Print Forms.
- Select Pay cheque.
- From the Bank Account, choose your payroll bank account.
- Verify that the number in the First Cheque Number field matches the number of the first cheque in your printer.
- Select Both, Pay cheque or Direct Deposits (applies to US only).
- Select the cheques you want to print:
- To select all displayed cheques, Select All.
- To select individual cheques, select the white column to the left of the date.
- If you would like to print a global message on each pay stub, enter text in the Company message to be printed on all pay stubs box.
- Select OK.
- Adjust your printer settings, if necessary, (this is also a point where your cheque style can be edited), then Print. (For detailed information about printer settings, select Help in the Print Cheques window.)
- Be sure that the cheques are printing correctly and respond to Did cheque(s) print OK? message.
- Select OK.
If the cheques you need to print are not showing up in the window, you may need to mark them as Print Later. See the steps in the next section.
Mark cheques as Print Later from the Payroll Centre
- From Employees at the top menu bar, select Payroll Centre.
- Select the Transaction tab, Pay cheque.
- Select a date range that will cover the time that the pay cheque were issued.
- Double-click the cheque that you want to print.
- Put a checkmark in the Print Later box, Save and Close. (Print Later box is at the top of the page, next to the Print icon.)
Mark cheques as Print Later from the bank register
- Open your cheque register by clicking Banking, then Use Register.
- Double-click the cheque you want to print in the register view.
- Select the Print Later checkbox at the top of the page, next to the Print icon.
- Select Save and Close, then click Record in your register.
Mark pay cheque to print as you create them
In the Enter Payroll Information window select:
- Click Print pay cheques from QuickBooks Desktop to queue pay cheque for printing from QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click Assign cheque number to handwritten cheques if you're writing your pay cheque by hand. Enter a First Cheque Number. When you enter a cheque number, the number will increase by 1 for each subsequent cheque written from the account specified in the Bank Account field.
Remove cheques from the Print Pay cheque window without printing them
- Open your cheque register by clicking Banking > Use Register.
- Double-click the cheque you don't want to print in the register.
- Click to clear the Print Later box at the top of the page, next to Print icon.
- Click Save and Close, and click Record in your register.
QuickBooks Desktop won't print out the cheque numbers and routing or bank account number. QuickBooks Desktop only prints the Pay to the Order of, Date, Amount, Employee Address, and voucher data.
You can purchase cheques through Intuit (Canada), or any office supply store that sells QuickBooks Desktop compatible cheques provided that the cheque stock has cheque numbers and your bank account information already preprinted.
Print pay cheque transmitted through direct deposit
If you pay an employee via direct deposit and also need to have a copy of the pay cheque, you can print a non-negotiable copy.
- Go to the register, and open the employee's pay cheque.
- Select Print.
- Enter the cheque number and select OK.
- Configure the printer settings if needed.
- Select Print.
- Repeat the steps for all applicable pay cheque.
Print sick or vacation in the pay cheque
- In QuickBooks Desktop, select Edit, then Preferences.
- Select Payroll & Employees.
- From the Company Preferences tab, select the Pay Sub & Voucher Printing.
- Under On Pay cheque Vouchers and Pay Stubs Print, select vacation used and vacation available and Sick used and sick available.
- Select OK twice.