Overview

QuickBooks Online Payroll allows you or your employee to enter in hours worked with the use of the Weekly Time Sheet or Single Activity Time Sheet. In order to use this feature, you will need to have QuickBooks Online Plus or QuickBooks Online Essentials.

Setting up time sheets

Before you start using time sheets:
  1. Decide who fills out time sheets:
    • Users who can fill out everyone's time sheet.
    • Users who can only fill out their own time sheet.
    • A mixture of the two.
  2. If you bill customers for time, decide how to structure your hourly rates. You can have:
    • Default rates for employees or subcontractors.
    • Rates based on services.
    • A combination of the two. How does that work?
After that, users fill out time sheets, they can report on time activities, and billed time automatically flows to customer invoices.

Paying an employee for time worked

Here's how it works:

1. Either you or employee fills out a Weekly Time Sheet or a Single Activity Time Sheet.
  2. When paychecks are created, the employee's total number of hours worked are automatically copied to the Create Paychecks page in the Regular column (or to another hourly pay type if they prefer).

To enter hours in the time sheets

1. Select the Plus icon (+) at the top.
  2. Under Employees, select Single Time Activity or Weekly Timesheet.
  3. Select the employee name and check if the pay period is correct.
  4. Enter the hours.
  5. Click Save and Close.
If the time sheets are turned on and hours have been entered, these hours will flow to payday and override any saved hours for that pay period. If zero hours have been entered, it will not override any saved hours on payday for that pay period.

What if I don't want Time Tracking hours to flow to paychecks?

QuickBooks Online Payroll

To turn them off for a single employee:

1. Select the Gear icon from the left menu > Payroll Settings.
  2. In the Setup Overview, click Time Sheets.
  3. Select Copy hours from employee time sheets. Click OK.
  4. Click the name of the employee.
  5. Select I'll enter hours when I create paychecks. Click OK.

Or, to turn them off for all employees:

1. Select the Gear icon from the left menu > Payroll Settings.
  2. In the Setup Overview, click Time Sheets.
  3. Select I'll enter hours when I create paychecks. Click OK.

QuickBooks Online Payroll Full Service

Contact support 866.729.4662 option 1 to turn off time tracking

Letting someone fill out a time sheet

Employees and vendors can fill out time sheets. If you have subcontractors, create them as vendors in QuickBooks Online Plus. To let someone fill out a time sheet, they must have access rights to edit user information.
There are two ways to let someone fill out a time sheet:
  • Let this user fill out everyone's time sheets.
  • Let the user only fill out his or her own time sheet.
After they let the user fill out a time sheet, and if they bill time to customers, they may want to set the hourly rate for that employee or vendor's time, as described in Setting up time tracking.

Users who can fill in only their own time sheets

There are two ways you can restrict users' access to time sheets so they see only their own:
  • If the user is an ordinary user (as long as the user doesn't have All or Customer & Sales access), they can set the user's access rights so the user can only fill out his or her own time sheet.
  • You can create a Time Tracking Only user. The user only has access to his or her own time sheets. When the user logs in, the user sees a special version of QuickBooks Online Plus that has only that user's time sheets and no other features.

Create a time tracking only user

1. Select the gear icon at the top right area of QuickBooks
  2. Select the Manage Users option
  3. Select New
  4. Be sure to choose a Time Tracking Only user
  5. Enter the user's email address, they will get an invite to your business that they will need to accept
  6. Once the user has accepted their invite, they can Log in to perform time tracking at http://QBO.Intuit.com
Please Note**
the user entered will be prompted to create an intuit account if they do not already have an account with an Intuit Service. If they user is not able see the invite email, please follow the steps above to go into the Manage Users module, and resend the email to the user. Always remember to check your junk and spam folders to see if filter settings have blocked Intuit from proper communication.

How do I print timesheets?

1. Select Reports from the left menu.
  2. Select Time activities by employee detail report. Choose the correct date range.
  3. Hit Customize and change columns.
  4. You will see where you can go in and add and remove columns.
  5. You will have the option for start time, end time and break time.
  6. Click Run Report.
  7. Click Print on the upper left.

Save for Later appears to be not saving

When you have time sheets selected to " Copy hours from employee time sheets", it will appear as though Save for Later is not working because there are 0.00 in Time Sheets.

QuickBooks Online Payroll

Example:

1. Select the Gear icon at the top > Payroll Settings.
  2. Under Setup, click Time Sheets.
  3. There are 2 options for troubleshooting:
    • If you choose " I'll enter hours when I create paychecks",  Save for Later will work for this.
    • If you choose " Copy hours from employee time sheets", Save for Later appears to not work if the Time Sheets are pulling 0.00 hours.

If you are not using Time Sheets, you can select " I'll enter hours when I create paychecks", then Save for Later will save what you enter in Run Payroll.

QuickBooks Online Payroll Full Service

Contact support 866.729.4662 option 1 to turn off time tracking

Assigning classes

You can only assign one class per employee in employee's and time sheets setup, but in time sheets, you can set up a different class than what you already have in employee's setup.Note: These classes won't show up in employees pay stub.