When processing a transaction or opening POS you receive one of the following errors
- Unexpected error happened, please restart Point of Sale. Exception from HRESULT: 0x88980406
- Unexpected error happened. The error is: Value cannot be null. Parameter:s
- Unable to open the program through the Point of Sale icon
- Error: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation
- Configuration system failed to initialize
- Error 100 database server not found "08w01"
- Error: 176120 invalid license key status, key denied
- Error: QBPOSShell has stopped working
The errors may be caused by:
- Your computer not meeting the minimum system requirements
- Point of Sale Database Manager that may not be running
- Damaged or improperly installed Microsoft.NET framework
Solution 1: Make sure all Point of Sale updates are installed
Note: Before completing the update process and to ensure issue resolution, you may need to Rename the Intuit Entitlement Client Folder.
Go to the product updates page, make sure Point of Sale is selected as your product, and follow the instructions to install a Manual update. You may have to reboot afterward.
Solution 2: Try a new Windows user
- Click the Windows Start button, type User Accounts in search field, then select Enter.
- Select Manage user accounts, then click Manage another account.
- Click Create a new account and give it the name of Test. Choose Administrator for user type.
- Log off Windows, sign in as the user you just created and try to open Point of Sale again. If the issue persists, try toggling your UAC settings.
Solution 3: Close and restart QBPOSShell and troubleshoot compatibility
- Close Point of Sale and press Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
- If necessary, select Start Task Manager.
- Select the Processes tab and click the Image Name column title to sort it alphabetically.
- Right-click QBPOSShell.exe, then select End Process.
Important: If you see more than one QBPOSShell, follow the steps below to troubleshoot compatibility with Windows.
- Close Task Manager and open Point of Sale.
- Right-click the Point of Sale icon on your Desktop and choose Troubleshoot compatibility.
- Select Try recommendation settings and follow the instructions.
- When finished, reboot your computer and open Point of Sale.
If the issue persists, use solution 4 to repair .NET Framework.
Solution 4: Uninstall and reinstall .NET framework and QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Uninstall QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Uninstall .NET Framework 4.0 and 4.5.
- On the Programs & Features window, select Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 (or 4.5)
- Select Uninstall, then click Next.
- Follow instructions to uninstall the application, and then proceed with Step 5 below to reinstall it. Make sure to reboot your computer after uninstalling .NET framework.
Note: If you encounter any errors while uninstalling .NET Framework, please contact a qualified IT professional or Microsoft as this is a Microsoft component that interacts with the operating system, not just QuickBooks.
- Install .NET Framework 4.5 (4.0 Client and Extended built in.
- Download .NET Framework 4.5 (.NET Framework 4.5 is a combination of the .NET Framework 4.0 Client and Extended)from the Microsoft's website.
- Save the file to your desktop, then double-click the file and follow the instructions on the screen to install.
- Reboot after the installation.
- If you encounter any errors while installing .NET Framework, please contact a qualified IT professional or Microsoft.
- Reinstall Point of Sale.