To process a refund in QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale as opposed to refunding cash, you can also process a refund into a gift card within Point of Sale
Create a return receipt and enter the refund amount in the Gift Card Purchase column on the payment window. Entering the refund amount as a purchase adds the amount back to the gift card balance.
To make a return gift card receipt:
- From the Point of Sale menu, select New Return Receipt.
Other ways of pulling up a return receipt:
- Customer List. If you track customers, you can go back to the customer you are refunding the amount to by going to Customer > Customer list. Select the name of the customer then on select Accept Return from the blue buttons on the left side of the screen.
- Sales History. Go to the sale by entering the receipt number on the search box. Select on the sales receipt then select Accept Return from the blue buttons on the left side of the screen.
- Make a Sale. Select the Make a Sale icon on the Navigator page then select Accept Return from the blue buttons on the left side of the screen.
- List the returned merchandise using the same price at which the merchandise was purchased (from the original receipt). List returned quantities as positive numbers.
- On the Payment screen, move the refund amount to the Gift Card Purchase field and press Enter.
- Swipe the gift card or manually enter the card number.
- Point of Sale connects to the gift card servers and updates the card balance.
- Save/Print receipt.