Need help in installing and setting up your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac? Here's a step-by-step guide and some things you need to know to get started with your QuickBooks.
Step 1: Make sure QuickBooks Mac Desktop will run on your computer
Step 2: Prepare your license and product numbers
Step 3: Download and install QuickBooks Mac Desktop
- Prepare the installer.
- Download your QuickBooks Desktop Mac version
- Or use the CD installer (if purchased from a retailer)
Note: If you are trying to download the installer and are experiencing difficulties with the process, you may need to clear the browser’s cache and cookies or use a different browser.
- Start the installation.
- Close all running applications.
- Insert the QuickBooks CD into the CD-ROM or double-click the downloaded installer. The QuickBooks installation window opens automatically.
- Drag the QuickBooks icon to the Applications folder. The Applications folder opens automatically.
- Double-click the QuickBooks icon to open the application.
Step 4: Upgrade/Convert your company file
If you have upgraded from a previous QuickBooks Desktop for Mac version, you must update your company file to work in the newer version.
- Open your company file in the newer version.
- When QuickBooks prompts you to update or convert the company file, select Upgrade.
- If you receive a prompt message, select OK.
- Check your balances, reports and accounts to ensure the correct company file is converted.
Step 5: (Optional) Set up multi-user
If you have more than one user license, you may set up QuickBooks in multi-user mode to ensure all users can access the file at the same time.
- Open the Multiuser folder.
- Drag the QuickBooks Server icon to the Applications folder.
- If prompted, select Authenticate to modify the Applications folder and enter the Admin username and password. Select OK.
- Launch QuickBooks and open your company file.
- Go to File, then select Enable Multi-user Mode to share your company file.
Have QuickBooks Desktop for Windows? Follow the steps to installing QuickBooks in a Windows PC.