State Unemployment Insurance (SUI) rates change periodically for a variety of reasons. Your state agency notifies you for every SUI rate change.
This article provides examples of unemployment rate notices from each state. Each example also provides instructions on how to locate the rate on the tax notices and enter it in QuickBooks.
For instructions on how to change your State Unemployment Insurance rate in QuickBooks, select the article that applies to your Payroll Service:
You received a notice from the state that your SUI rate has changed.
Following are links to instructions on how to locate your new SUI rate on the rate change notice you received.
Note: Companies may have a zero ETT rate if the state notifies them so. This is a determination by the company's reserve ratio at the state. These companies typically have a state unemployment rate of 6.2%. If we are tracking ETT wages, it is still important that the wage base match the SUI.
- ID - Unemployment Company (SUI) = Assigned Contribution Rate plus Special Administrative Reserve Rate
- ID - Workforce Dev. Fund (WDF) = Assigned Workforce Development Fund Rate
- IA - Unemployment Company (SUI) = Assigned Contribution (Tax) Rate
- IA - Admin. Surcharge (AS) = Assigned Surcharge Rate
- IA - Reserve Fund (RF) = Assigned Reserve Fund Rate
- KY - Unemployment Company (SUI) = Assigned UI Rate
- KY Surcharge* (SUR) = The Surcharge rate for 2017 is 0.00%. The surcharge assessment was suspended beginning 3rd quarter of 2016.
- MN Unemployment Company (SUI) = Your Experience Rating plus Base Tax Rate
- MN Workforce Enhancement Fee (WDF) = Assigned Workforce Development (Enhancement) Fee
2013 and prior:
- MN Unemployment Company (SUI) = The Tax Rate in the Total Due Estimator* minus the Workforce Development (Enhancement) Fee of 0.10%
- MN Workforce Enhancement Fee (WDF) = Assigned Workforce Development (Enhancement) FeeThe Minnesota Additional Assessment of 14.00% is included in the Total Due Estimator*. By using the above calculation method for your 2013 (and prior) SUI Rate the applicable taxes will have calculated correctly. Effective January 1, 2014, the Minnesota Additional Assessment has changed to 0.00% from 14.00%.
Enter the percentage as shown here in QuickBooks. For example: If the rate is 2%, enter 2.00% in QuickBooks.