Learn how to activate your QuickBooks Desktop payroll service purchased from retail.
Did you purchase your payroll service from a retail store? We show you how to activate it using QuickBooks Desktop.
The payroll you have purchased is for a 1 year subscription, and limited number of employees. The credit card you enter will be used for the following:
- Renewal of the subscription: The subscription will automatically renew a year after activating your payroll. You'll be notified at least 30 days in advance prior to the automatic renewal of your service.
- Per Employee Fee: Depends on the number of employees that you pay in a month, and it's debited the following month. Example: The per employee fee for the employees paid in January will be debited on your billing day of the following month (February).
Activate the payroll service.
- Select Employees, then Payroll, choose Install Payroll from Box. (If you don't see Install Payroll from Box, your QuickBooks Desktop may already have a payroll subscription. Contact us to activate your new payroll subscription.)
- Complete the fields in the Payroll License and Product Information page. Your QuickBooks Desktop Payroll license number is displayed on a brightly colored sticker on the folder inside your box. The product number is included in the directions on the folder. These numbers work together to identify and verify your Payroll subscription. They also produce a valid service key, which you'll use to unlock your payroll subscription.
- Complete the fields in the Payroll Company Legal Information section. All fields are required unless specified as optional.
The Payroll Company creates paychecks for its employees, and its Federal employer ID number (EIN) appears on the tax filings.
- Read the disclaimer in the Billing Information section. Enter the payment and contact information needed.
- Log in to your Intuit Account.
- Select the Start Payroll button in the Confirmation.
Your QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Service is now active. To get started complete the Payroll Setup Interview.
If you are unable to activate your new payroll service in QuickBooks Desktop, contact us.