Facts About SUI
- Rate is unique to your business and issued by your state.
- Rate is not part of the tax table update and critical that you enter your current rate in QuickBooks.
- Is paid only by the employer, unless you are in a state that requires employees to contribute.
- SUI wage base limit is updated by the tax table according to your state's requirements, and cannot be manually changed.
- Most states update their SUI rate in the beginning of the year while others such as New Jersey, Vermont and Tennessee, update their rates in the third quarter of the year. Look for the effective date on the rate notice.
If you have received a rate change notice from your state, see How to Read SUI rate change notifications.
Note: If you have QuickBooks Payroll Basic / Enhanced, see SUI rate change.
Before changing your SUI rate, read the following:
If this rate change affects any payroll processed in a previous quarter or you need help fixing an SUI discrepancy in QuickBooks, contact Assisted Payroll Support.
To properly assist you, be sure you meet the following:
- You must be the company's primary principal or payroll administrator.
- You are logged in to QuickBooks in single user mode.
- You have created a local back up of your QuickBooks company file.
- You do not have a payroll in QuickBooks that is waiting to send.
If you have a payroll in QuickBooks that has not been sent, either send payroll data or delete the paychecks. You have to send two zero payrolls so that you receive any payroll service updates, such as rate changes Intuit received from the agency, state ID changes, manual billing charges, etc.
Changing your surcharge or assessment to State Unemployment rates for next year? Intuit recommends you wait until the calendar date has changed to the new year before your make your updates.
To change your SUI rate in QuickBooks:
- From the top toolbar choose Lists > Payroll Item List.
- Double-click the State Unemployment Tax item, which is typically named: [state abbreviation] - Unemployment Company.
- Click Next > Next for the company tax rates for [year], and enter the correct rates for each quarter.If your system date is between 7/1 and 1/1 you will also be able to add the rate for the first quarter of the following year.
- After you enter the correct rates, click Next > Next > Finish. Your SUI rates are updated.
- Do you have an surcharge or assessment to State Unemployment? If so, you may need to update additional rates in QuickBooks. If you are not sure, compare the breakdown of rate on your notice with a sample copy for your state.
- Choose Employees > Send Payroll Data.
- Verify that the Items to Send window shows Zero paycheck for zero payroll. Click Send.
Important: If Intuit becomes aware that any of your tax agency information (including your new SUI rate) is inaccurate, we reserve the right to enter the correct information.