Wondering about W-2s and 1099s?

You've come to the right place! Here are answers to some common questions about employee W-2s and contractor 1099s.

Intuit Full Service Payroll

W-2s

What are W-2s? Does QuickBooks Online Payroll Full Service send W-2s to my employees?

Form W-2 is an annual federal tax form that is issued by employers and reports employee wages for the year. Employees use the info to file their personal tax returns.

As part of your Intuit Full Service Payroll, we will prepare your employees' W-2s, file them with the government agencies, and mail them directly to your employees.

If my account is canceled prior to my forms being mailed to my employees, will the W-2s still be mailed out?

If your account is canceled and you asked us to file your annual forms, your W-2s will be submitted to the Social Security Administration and they will be mailed to your employees.

When are the W-2 forms mailed to my employees?

W-2 forms are mailed to employees by USPS from January 20 through January 31.

When can I see my employer copies of W-2 forms?

W-2 forms will be available in your product starting January 14.

Employer copies are not mailed and can only be accessed in your product.

What will my employees receive?

Your employees will receive four copies of their W-2 form on standard, perforated W-2 stock. Detailed filing instructions for employees are printed on the back of the forms.

• Copy B: one copy
  • Copy C: one copy
  • Copy 2: two copies (some employees may need to file to multiple state and local agencies)

In some cases, employees have more data and need more than one page of their W-2 form. For example, if an employee is subject to more than two local taxes, has more than two items in Box 14, or more than four items in Box 12.

My employee hasn't received their W-2 yet. What do I do?

All employee W-2 forms are mailed by January 31 to the resident address in the employee's profile.

If your employee hasn't received their W-2 form within 7 business days of January 31, you can contact us to request that a new W2 be printed and mailed.

I received an undeliverable W-2 for one of my employees. What do I do?

We recommend verifying the employee's address in their profile or attempting to contact the employee directly.

As the employer, you must make a good faith effort to deliver the W-2 form and keep the W-2 copies on file for up to 4 years.

1099s

What are 1099s? Does the Intuit Full Service Payroll service send 1099s to my contractors?

Form 1099-MISC is an annual federal tax form that is issued by businesses with independent contractors who were paid for at least $600 or more in a calendar year. Contractors use the info to file their tax returns.

As part of your Intuit Full Service Payroll, we will prepare your contractors' 1099s, file them with the government agencies, and mail them directly to your contractors. We generate and file 1099s for any amounts you paid(excluding reimbursement) to your contractors even if it does not meet the $600 threshold.

1099 copies will  be mailed to your contractors to the addresses indicated in the contractors' profile by January 31st. Please note that the last day to update your company and employee information on your account to appear on year-end tax forms is on January 11, 2019.

Intuit Full Service Payroll files only Box 7, non-employee compensation with the government agencies. If you need to report payments in a box other than Box 7, you will need to file outside of Intuit Full Service Payroll.

Does Intuit Full Service Payroll file info from all the boxes on the 1099-MISC form?

No. Intuit Full Service Payroll files only Box 7, non-employee compensation with the government agencies. If you need to report payments in a box other than Box 7, you will need to file outside of Intuit Full Service Payroll.

When can I see my contractors' 1099 forms?

1099 forms will be available on the Tax Records tab starting January 14.

Employer copies are not mailed and can only be accessed on the Tax Records tab.

I received an undeliverable 1099 for one of my contractors. What do I do?

We recommend verifying the contractor's address in their profile or attempting to contact the contractor directly.

As the business owner, you must make a good faith effort to deliver the 1099 form and keep the 1099 copies on file for up to 4 years.

Can I provide a contractor with another copy of their 1099 form?

1. Select the Tax Records tab.
  2. Select 1099, Copies B & 2.
  3. Print the 1099 forms for the specific recipient. The 1099 filing instructions will print with Copy B.

QuickBooks Online Payroll Full Service

What are W-2s? Does QuickBooks Online Payroll Full Service send W-2s to my employees?

Form W-2 is an annual federal tax form that's issued by employers and reports employee wages for the year. Employees use the info to file their personal tax returns.

As part of your Full Service Payroll, we will prepare your employees' W-2s, file them with the government agencies, and mail them directly to your employees.

When are the W-2 forms mailed to my employees?

W-2 forms are mailed to employees by USPS from January 20 through January 31.

When can I see my employer copies of W-2 forms?

W-2 forms will be available in your product starting January 14.

Employer copies are not mailed and can only be accessed in your product.

What will my employees receive?

Your employees will receive four copies of their W-2 form on standard, perforated W-2 stock. Detailed filing instructions for employees are printed on the back of the forms.

• Copy B: one copy
  • Copy C: one copy
  • Copy 2: two copies (some employees may need to file to multiple state and local agencies)

In some cases, employees have more data and need more than one page of their W-2 form. For example, if an employee is subject to more than two local taxes, has more than two items in Box 14, or more than four items in Box 12.

I received an undeliverable W-2 for one of my employees. What do I do?

We recommend verifying the employee's address in their profile or attempting to contact the employee directly.

As the employer, you must make a good faith effort to deliver the W-2 form and keep the W-2 copies on file for up to 4 years.

See also

Form W-3: Transmittal of wage and tax statements