If you need to cancel your QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service, please call 888-712-9702. You will receive confirmation of cancelation and other important information within 3 business days of submission of the cancelation request.
This article provides more info about the cancelation, future tax filings, other QuickBooks Payroll services you can switch to, and everything else you need to know before and after your subscription is canceled.
Need QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted to provide future tax filings and W-2s? Please verify your employee information such as address, social security number, and wages before submitting the request to cancel service. Once your service is canceled, this information cannot be updated in our system.
Current e-mail required: A current email address is REQUIRED for all cancelation requests. You will receive confirmation of cancelation and other important information within 3 business days of our receipt of the Request to Cancel form.
Cancelation of Service and Future Tax Filings
Will you continue to file my tax returns if I cancel service?
- If you will continue to process payroll with your FEIN after you cancel our service, Intuit Payroll Service should not continue to file your tax returns to the agencies as this will create tax notices for your company.
Exceptions: If you are canceling at the end of a quarter or year, and Intuit has all of the wage information for that period, we can file your tax returns.
- If you will not have any more payroll in the current year, Intuit Payroll Service will file everything for the year, including W-2s, as long as you request the filings on the Request to Cancel Service form.
- Annual Federal and State Returns will only be processed and filed if the W2s are also being prepared.
Once I cancel service with you, do I need to notify anyone?
I'm not going to be processing payroll for this EIN anymore. Do I need to tell anyone?
Yes, you will need to notify state agencies that you will no longer be processing payroll for your EIN or Account Number. To close a state withholding or unemployment account, most agencies require a letter written on your company letterhead and signed by an officer of your company.Exceptions: Intuit Payroll Service marks IRS forms 940 and 941 and state of California returns as final and applies closure on your behalf if you mark Do you want Intuit to close the payroll portion of your FEIN with the IRS? yes. Intuit will file all of the quarters in the current year and mark the 4th Qtr and Annual Tax filings as final.
Why doesn't Intuit Payroll Services apply closure to state withholding and unemployment account numbers?
Exception: California allows Intuit to close your EDD Account.
How do I know what information to provide the state when closing my account?
I signed a Power of Attorney form as part of my payroll sign up. Why can't Intuit use this to close my state tax account(s)?
Who is responsible for future tax notices?
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I log onto the Payroll Tax Center once I cancel service?
You will no longer access your payroll tax returns through QuickBooks Desktop. Instead, please follow the instructions below to access your return information:
- Go to https://payrolltaxcenter.intuit.com/ptc-termed/.
- Enter your company's EIN and Payroll PIN.
- Once logged in, you will see a link to online forms filed for your company. These are PDF files you can print, save, or email.
- If you do not find the form in the Payroll Tax Center, or if you no longer have your Payroll PIN and EIN information, you MUST request paper copies of your returns by completing this form: Tax Copy Request Form.
- You can only access the Payroll Tax Center for canceled clients until June of the following year from the date you cancel service. If your access to the site has expired, you must request paper copies of your returns by completing this form: Tax Copy Request Form.
What do I do if I forget my payroll PIN?
What forms are available here?
How will I get copies of my payroll tax returns?
How will I get copies of my W-2s?
If you requested W-2s on your Request to Cancel Service, copies will be available in the Payroll Tax Center on January 10th. You can access these from the Payroll Tax Center by following the instruction above. Your employees will receive printed copies of their W-2s, even if you are a Self-Print customer, as it is our policy to provide every customer who cancels service with paper copies of these documents.
Note: You will be billed for the printed copies at the time of cancelation and your employees will receive the printed copies by January 26th. The cost is $40 setup fee and $4.25 per employee.
I'm Expecting Additional Returns and/or W-2s - When Will They Be Online?
You can expect to find any additional returns our service prepares for you in the Canceled Customer Payroll Tax Center based on the following schedule:
How Long Will I Be Able to Access My Forms Online?
Can I get paper copies of forms from Intuit?
Using Other QuickBooks Payroll Services
I want to use another QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Service. How do I disconnect from QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service?
Once your service has been canceled, if you wish to use another QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Service, such as our Basic or Enhanced Payroll options, follow the disconnect steps below.
Reminders before disconnecting:
- If you have a pending payroll at the time you attempt to disconnect from our service, it will NOT result in any debit or upload of payroll information to the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service.
- Once canceled, you may not resume QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service until the next calendar year.
- Auto-renewal - QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic and Enhanced Payroll are subscriptions that renew automatically, and your credit card or bank account will be automatically debited at the start of each subscription term.
- Cancel your Do It Yourself Subscription (Basic, Standard or Enhanced) - You may cancel your payroll subscription any time in your QuickBooks Desktop, or online.
Disconnect QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted:
- In QuickBooks, select Employees from the top menu bar.
- Select Send Payroll Data.
- Enter your Payroll PIN. You will receive a cancelation message.
How do I sign up for QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic or Enhanced Payroll?
To sign up for our QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic or Enhanced Service:
- Complete the steps to disconnect from QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service.
- In QuickBooks, select Employees on the top menu bar.
- Choose Add Payroll Service.
- Choose Learn About Payroll Options.
- Follow the steps to complete sign up. If you have questions about signing up, call 800-264-5643. If you have questions after enrolling for service, contact us.
For auto-renewal and cancelation terms for QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic and Enhanced Payroll, please read the QuickBooks software license agreement.