If you need to cancel your QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service, please call 888-712-9702. You will receive confirmation of cancelation and other important information within 3 business days of submission of the cancelation request.

This article provides more info about the cancelation, future tax filings, other QuickBooks Payroll services you can switch to, and everything else you have to know before and after your subscription is canceled.

Need QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted to provide future tax filings and W-2s? Please verify your employee information such as address, social security number and wages before submitting the request to cancel service. Once your service is canceled, this information cannot be updated in our system.

Current e-mail required: A current email address is REQUIRED for all cancelation requests. You will receive confirmation of cancelation and other important information within 3 business days of our receipt of the Request to Cancel form.

Cancelation of Service and Future Tax Filings

Will you continue to file my tax returns if I cancel service?

• If you will continue to process payroll with your FEIN after you cancel our service, Intuit Payroll Service should not continue to file your tax returns to the agencies as this will create tax notices for your company.
    Exceptions: If you are canceling at the end of a quarter or year, and Intuit has all of the wage information for that period, we can file your tax returns.
  • If you will not have any more payroll in the current year, Intuit Payroll Service will file everything for the year, including W-2s, as long as you request the filings on the Request to Cancel Service form.
    • Annual Federal and State Returns will only be processed and filed if the W2s are also being prepared.

Once I cancel service with you, do I need to notify anyone?

Please immediately contact the Federal and State Tax Agencies with which you are registered to request and/or confirm they have removed Intuit from your company's record and that future correspondence is sent directly to your company's address. Failure to update the agencies may result in unnecessary delays in future correspondence.

I'm not going to be processing payroll for this EIN anymore. Do I need to tell anyone?

Yes, you will need to notify state agencies that you will no longer be processing payroll for your EIN or Account Number. To close a state withholding or unemployment account, most agencies require a letter written on your company letterhead and signed by an officer of your company.

Exceptions: Intuit Payroll Service marks IRS forms 940 and 941 and state of California returns as final and applies closure on your behalf if you mark Do you want Intuit to close the payroll portion of your FEIN with the IRS? yes. Intuit will file all of the quarters in the current year and mark the 4th Qtr and Annual Tax filings as final.

Why doesn't Intuit Payroll Services apply closure to state withholding and unemployment account numbers?

Most agencies require that you, not your payroll provider or accountant, apply closure to those accounts. Part of the requirement is usually a letter written on your company letterhead by an officer of your company.
Exception: California allows Intuit to close your EDD Account.

How do I know what information to provide the state when closing my account?

Each state can advise you of the required information to close your account.

I signed a Power of Attorney form as part of my payroll sign up. Why can't Intuit use this to close my state tax account(s)?

Your company signed a limited power of attorney (Form 8655). This means that Intuit has limited powers to act on behalf of your company related to payroll tax matters; however, Intuit may not have power of attorney to apply closure to state tax accounts.

Who is responsible for future tax notices?

We are not authorized to represent you on payroll tax notices or correspondence for services provided outside your contract period with Intuit and we will not be responsible for future correspondence that may be sent to us in error. If you receive agency correspondence related to a payroll tax that we prepared and filed for you, please email it to us immediately at taxnoticeresolution@intuit.com.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I log onto the Payroll Tax Center once I cancel service?

You will no longer access your payroll tax returns through QuickBooks Desktop. Instead, please follow the instructions below to access your return information:

1. Select the link (or copy and paste to Internet Explorer if you are using any other browser.): https://payrolltaxcenter.intuit.com/ptc-termed/
  2. Enter your company's EIN and Payroll PIN.
  3. Once logged in, you will see a link to online forms filed for your company. These are PDF files you can print, save, or email.

Reminders:

• If you do not find the form in the Payroll Tax Center, or if you no longer have your Payroll PIN and EIN information, you MUST request paper copies of your returns by completing this form: Tax Copy Request Form.
  • You can only access the Payroll Tax Center for canceled clients until June of the following year from the date you cancel service. If your access to the site has expired, you must request paper copies of your returns by completing this form: Tax Copy Request Form.

What do I do if I forget my payroll PIN?

You MUST request paper copies by completing this form: Tax Copy Request Form. Intuit Payroll Services does not create new PINS for canceled customers.

What forms are available here?

All of the Payroll Tax Returns that Intuit Payroll Services has filed for your company should be available in the Canceled Client Payroll Tax Center.

How will I get copies of my payroll tax returns?

You will continue to access copies of your payroll tax returns online through the Canceled Client Payroll Tax Center until June of the year following the date of cancelation. You will not receive paper copies of these returns.

How will I get copies of my W-2s?

If you requested W-2s on your Request to Cancel Service, copies will be available in the Payroll Tax Center on January 10th. You can access these from the Payroll Tax Center by following the instruction above. Your employees will receive printed copies of their W-2s, even if you are a Self-Print customer, as it is our policy to provide every customer who cancels service with paper copies of these documents.

Note: You will be billed for the printed copies at the time of cancelation and your employees will receive the printed copies by January 26th. The cost is $40 setup fee and $4.25 per employee.

I'm Expecting Additional Returns and/or W-2s - When Will They Be Online?

You can expect to find any additional returns our service prepares for you in the Canceled Customer Payroll Tax Center based on the following schedule:

How Long Will I Be Able to Access My Forms Online?

You will continue to have access to this information through the Payroll Tax Center until June of the next calendar year after cancelation of service. If your access period has passed, you can request copies of your tax filings by following this process: Request Copies of Tax Forms

Can I get paper copies of forms from Intuit?

You can request paper copies of your returns by requesting tax copies.

Using Other QuickBooks Payroll Services

I want to use another QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Service. How do I disconnect from QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service?

Once your service has been canceled, if you wish to use another QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Service, such as our Basic or Enhanced Payroll options, follow the disconnect steps below:

Reminders before disconnecting:

• If you have a pending payroll at the time you attempt to disconnect from our service, it will NOT result in any debit or upload of payroll information to the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service.
  • Once canceled, you may not resume QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service until the next calendar year.
  • Auto-renewal - QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic and Enhanced Payroll are subscriptions that renew automatically, and your credit card or bank account will be automatically debited at the start of each subscription term.
  • Cancel your Do It Yourself Subscription (Basic, Standard or Enhanced) - You may cancel your payroll subscription any time in your QuickBooks Desktop, or online.

Disconnect QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted:

1. In QuickBooks, select Employees from the top menu bar.
  2. Select Send Payroll Data.
  3. Enter your Payroll PIN. You will receive a cancelation message.

How do I sign up for QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic or Enhanced Payroll?

To sign up for our QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic or Enhanced Service:

1. Complete the steps to disconnect from QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service.
  2. In QuickBooks, select Employees on the top menu bar.
  3. Choose Add Payroll Service.
  4. Choose Learn About Payroll Options.
  5. Follow the steps to complete sign up. If you have questions about signing up, call 800-264-5643. If you have questions after enrolling for service, contact us.

Learn more

For auto-renewal and cancelation terms for QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic and Enhanced Payroll, please read the QuickBooks software license agreement.