Workers' compensation insurance provides benefits to injured workers as required by state law. For details and the list of state contacts, go to the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP).
You may not always need to fill in the class for workers’ comp. Depending on the service you use, here are some guidelines you can follow:
Pay-as-You-Go Workers' Compensation service
If you use our Pay-as-You-Go Workers' Compensation service:
- You don't need to enter classes for your employees (our insurance partner tracks that info).
- After you finish setting up your payroll, look for a link that invites you to learn more about Pay-as-you-go Workers' Comp.
- To learn more, go to the Setup tab and click the link under Workers' Compensation.
State fund or a different insurance provider
If you use a state fund or a different insurance provider than the one we support:
- Enter a class name only if you want to sort and subtotal information the Workers' Compensation report by the employees who belong to the class. (Just make up class names to use for your reference in the report.)
- If you don't enter classes for your employees, we just sort the report by employee name.