QuickBooks Desktop allows you to edit, void, or delete a paycheck that hasn't been transmitted to the payroll service, contains wrong information, or is a duplicate. Follow the steps provided below to easily modify a paycheck or liability check.
Note: Create a backup of your company file before proceeding.
If you have Direct Deposit or QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted and have already sent your payroll to the Payroll Service, follow the appropriate article:
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic, Standard, or Enhanced:
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted:
Locate the paycheck
If you know the employee's name:
- Go to the Employees menu, then select Employee Center.
- Select the employee's name. In the Employee Information section, under Reports for this Employee, select QuickReport.
- From the Dates drop-down, choose All. If you know the date of the paycheck, enter the date in the From and To fields. This report displays the payroll transactions within the specific date range.
- Look for the line entry with the incorrect paycheck. Double-click it to display the paycheck.
If you don't know the employee's name:
- Go to the Reports menu, then Employees and Payroll > Payroll Transactions by Payee.
- From the Dates drop-down, choose All. If you know the check's approximate creation date, enter the date range in the From and To fields. This report displays all the payroll transactions for all of the employees.
- To ensure that you have the correct paycheck, double-click each one to display and review the entire check.
Edit a paycheck
After you create your paychecks, you can review them and edit them if necessary. To edit:
- Locate and open the paycheck.
- On the paycheck window, you can change the check number, check date, bank account, or employee's address.
- Select Paycheck Detail... to edit or delete amounts for individual Payroll Items (salary, taxes withheld, etc.) and Pay Period.
- When you have made all your changes, select OK.
- Select Save & Close. A pop-up window notifies you and asks you whether you want to record the changes or not. Select Yes to save the changes.
Note: If you are a Direct Deposit or Assisted Payroll customer and you've already sent the paycheck to the Payroll Service, you can't change the paycheck date and the net pay amount.
Edit earnings items after payroll has been submitted to Intuit:
- Select Unlock Net Pay. Select OK, then edit the necessary item.
- Edit the necessary item, then select OK. The Net Pay Locked message appears but, don't worry! Just select No to keep the changes.
Delete a paycheck
You may want to delete a paycheck if you created a duplicate check or if you need to change the amount of a check and none of the alternatives to voiding or deleting accomplish what you want. To delete a paycheck:
- Locate and open the paycheck.
- Go to the Edit menu, then select Delete Paycheck (or Ctrl + D on your keyboard).
- When prompted, select OK to permanently delete the transaction.
If a paycheck has been deleted in error, the paycheck can be retrieved by restoring the backup copy or by pulling up the Audit Trail (go to the Reports menu, then select Accountant and Taxes > Audit Trail).
Note: If a paycheck appears in the Check Register with a green lightning bolt icon next to it, it has already been sent to Direct Deposit or to the Assisted Payroll service, and you can't delete it.
Delete or void a payroll liability check:
You should only void a liability check if the tax agency rejected your liability e-Payment and you need to resubmit.
2 types of payroll liability checks in QuickBooks:
- Direct Deposit payroll liability check - created automatically in QuickBooks when Direct Deposit paychecks are created and sent to Intuit. It shows QuickBooks Payroll Service as the payee.
- Payroll liability check for tax payments - created when you pay taxes through the Pay Liabilities window in QuickBooks.
To void a liability check:
- Go to the Banking menu, then select Use Register.
- Select the appropriate bank account if prompted.
- Locate the liability check. It should have the LIAB CHK as type.
- Double-click the liability check to edit it.
- Go to the Edit menu, then choose Delete Liability Check or Void Liability Check.