This article provides the detailed instructions of the two tasks you have to complete and the IRS E-file Program approval process to be able to e-file your Federal Forms 940, 941, and 944 in QuickBoks:
What are the requirements to e-file Federal Forms 940, 941 and 944 in QuickBooks Desktop?
Why do I have to enroll to the IRS e-File Program?
Regardless where you e-file your Federal Forms 940, 941, and 944, IRS require that you enroll to the IRS e-file program. Once your enrollment is approved, IRS will provide you a 10-digit PIN that you need to enter everytime you e-file a Federal Forms in QuickBooks Desktop. As soon as you receive the PIN, you will already be able to e-file your Federal Forms in QuickBooks Desktop.
You need to enroll to the IRS e-file program once only. If you have e-filed Federal Forms 940, 941 and 944 before using other channels or services, then you are already enrolled. You don't have to re-enroll and you can use the same 10-digit PIN to e-file in QuickBooks Desktop.
What information will be needed during the IRS e-File Program enrollment?
- Your 9-digit Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- Your company legal name and address, which needs to exactly match with the company legal name and address on file with the IRS. You typically find this information on IRS correspondence sent to your company:
- The name, job title, email address, and phone number of the person the IRS can contact about your enrollment and your payroll tax filings. This person must be associated with your company and is authorized to sign the return. This should not be a third-party provider or accountant.
- An electronic signature. You need to provide the name and email address of the person who signs your payroll tax forms.
- An acceptable contacts who can serve as the authorized signer. To see who qualifies, view page 6 - 8 of IRS Pub 3823.
All information you submit for your e-File enrollment must be specific to the business being enrolled and should not included third-party filers or accountant information.
To change the filing method of your Federal Forms to e-file:
Note: If you are already enrolled to the IRS e-file program and have been provided with a 10-digit PIN, click Cancel and then Finish. You may now e-file forms 940, 941, and 944 in QuickBooks Desktop using your existing 10-digit PIN.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, go to Employees > Payroll Center.
Open the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Setup depending on the QuickBooks Desktop version you are using:Go to File Forms tab.
At the bottom of the page, under Other Activities, click Change Filing Method.
- In the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Setup, click Continue.
- Select Federal Form 940 from the list of forms and click Edit.
- In the Filing Method options, select E-file and click Finish.
- Check if the filing method of your Federal Form 940, 941 and 944 is already E-File and click Continue. The e-File Enrollment window will open and will walk you through the enrollment process.
To enroll in the IRS e-file program:
Review the instructions on the e-file enrollment panel and then click Next.
Verify your EIN and enter your company's legal name and address, and then click Next.
Enter the name, job title, email address, and phone number of the person the IRS can contact about your enrollment and your payroll tax forms. This person must be associated with your company and not be a third party provider or accountant. Click Next.Important! Carefully review your contact information. Enrollments are commonly rejected if the contact information you enter is different from the information you submitted to the IRS when you filed for EIN.
Review the information in the summary window. If you need to modify the information, click Previous and make any necessary changes.
- Click Send Information. After you send the information, click Next.
- You will be back to the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Setup. At the lower left of the window, click Finish.
Note: If you receive the error message "Your e-file enrollment can't be processed due to an Error. Try again later.", check if the information you entered in the form does not contain any special characters except the hyphen and @ sign and remove if there are any.
IRS e-File Enrollment approval process:
When you submit your Form 940/941/944 (Form 94X) enrollment information, the following occurs:
- You send the enrollment information electronically.
- The secure filing system forwards the information to the IRS agency.
- The filing system sends you an e-mail that indicates the IRS has received your e-file enrollment request.
- The IRS will verify that your EIN, legal name, and the officer or employee of the company's contact information match their records.
- If everything matches, the agency sends a unique 10-digit PIN through to your company legal address. You'll need your PIN everytime you submit Form 94X. Store the PIN in a secure place.
NOTE: It can take up to 45 days to receive your 10-digit PIN in the mail from the IRS. If you have not received your 10-digit PIN after the 45-day timeframe has elapsed, you can check with the IRS at 1-866-255-0654.
- Please be sure you sign and return the PIN acknowledgement to the agency in a timely manner. If they do not receive it, your PIN may be disabled.
- If your enrollment is not accepted by the agency, you will be notified via mail by the IRS and provided with information on how to correct the enrollment. You may re-enroll.