This article describes the requirement for reporting newly hired and rehired employees to state agencies
All employers are required to report newly hired and rehired employees to state agencies. Depending on the state, newly hired and rehired employee information can be used for collecting child support and/or to uncover fraud or misuse of the state's unemployment compensation, workers' compensation, or public assistance (welfare) benefit programs. Generally, the information you must provide to state agencies includes the employee's name, address, Social Security number, as well as your name, address, and federal employer identification number (EIN).
With most states, you can provide new-hire and rehired employee information on a copy of federal Form W-4, the Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, or Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Some states require state-issued forms, magnetic or electronic media, or printouts of employer's new hire lists. The requirements cover all full-time and most part-time employees (including student workers), although most states exempt employees working less than a month or who work sporadically. Employers are given a specific amount of time to report the required information and most states penalize employers for failing to do so.
For more information on specific new-hire reporting requirements, see your state's official web site. See also our Payroll Tax Compliance and Quick List E-File & Pay Availability in QuickBooks Desktop sites for additional tax and contact information.
Note: Assisted payroll subscriptions do not offer new hire reporting. The company is accountable for its own new hire reporting. However, you may be able to create New Hire Reports state forms (or modify other reports) to show new hire details in all versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
To create the New Hire Report state form for new hire reporting purposes in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Go to Employees > Payroll Center.
- Click the File Forms tab.
- In the File Forms section, choose the New Hire Form for your state. If the form it not there:
- Click the Forms drop-down menu.
- Select Make a New Form Active.
- Next to State choose your state.
- Select the form from the list and choose Add Form.
- Click File Form or Create Form.
- The Select Payroll Form window will open. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the form.
For additional information see Quick List E-File & Pay Availability in QuickBooks Desktop.
To generate a report with new hire details in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Choose Reports > Employees and Payroll > Employee Contact List.
- Select Customize Report.
- Select from the Columns area those details that need to be included in the report (that is, Hire Date and so on).
- Click OK.