Learn about sick pay laws.
Sick pay is a benefit an employer may provide that allows employees to stay at home to address health concerns with or without pay. Sick pay laws and regulations vary by state, city, and local jurisdiction.
We explain accruals and provide a list of state and jurisdictions with links to their sick pay laws.
Although advice about labor law compliance is outside the scope of Intuit's payroll support, QuickBooks does support the paid sick leave accrual options. Select the links below for details about adding the appropriate accruals to your payroll system:
- Assisted, Basic, Standard, or Enhanced Desktop Payroll
- Intuit Full Service Payroll or QuickBooks Full Service Payroll
Poster compliance service
Intuit does provide labor law posters. This service helps employers stay compliant with their state agencies. These are one of the few products employers are legally required to post in their work location(s).
For more info, see QuickBooks Poster Compliance Service: All you need to know.
States or jurisdictions that have active sick pay laws
There are numerous laws for labor and pay requirements, at both the federal and state level, that change approximately 75 times a year across the US. If you have any questions regarding labor and pay requirements, contact your state agency.
- California Sick Pay
Note: See also California paid sick leave changes for 2015.
- Berkley, California Sick Pay
- Emeryville, California Sick Pay
- Los Angeles, California Sick Pay
- Oakland, California Sick Pay
- San Diego, California Sick Pay
- San Francisco, California Sick Pay
- Santa Monica, California Sick Pay
Maryland state has new sick pay laws starting February 11 and may change with legislation. The agency website is being updated as the status of the laws are communicated.
County laws may be impacted by state sick pay laws.
- Bloomfield, New Jersey Sick Pay
- East Orange, New Jersey Sick Pay
- Elizabeth, New Jersey Sick Pay
- Irvington, New Jersey Sick Pay
- Jersey City, New Jersey Sick Pay
- Montclair, New Jersey Sick Pay
- Morristown, New Jersey Sick Pay
- Newark, New Jersey Sick Pay
- New Brunswick, New Jersey Sick Pay
- Passaic, New Jersey Sick Pay
- Paterson, New Jersey Sick Pay
- Plainsfield, New Jersey Sick Pay
- Trenton, New Jersey Sick Pay