If you just got the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop, follow the steps provided to make upgrading or converting your company file easy as pie!
|Important reminders before you upgrade or convert the file:
To upgrade or convert your company file to a newer version
If you have an active QuickBooks subscription, the Easy Upgrade feature will automatically create an updated copy of your most recent files. You only need to perform the following steps if have to update additional company files.
- Open your new version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go the File menu, then select Open or Restore Company.
- Select Open a company file then Next.
- Highlight your data file then select Open.
Note: If the Move Company File window appears, follow the instructions shown.
- Read the info in the Update Company File for New Version pane. Check the box to signify you understand, then select Update Now.
- Follow the instructions on how to back up your file. Note where you save your file.
- When You are about to open a company file using a newer version of QuickBooks...Do you want to continue? appears, select Yes.
- (Recommended) Once the file is updated:
- Save the backup you created in a safe location until you are certain you won't need it again.
- If the file was copied from a different computer, create a copy of the file in the computer it was initially copied from.
- If you cannot find your data file in its original location or in the specified folder, search your hard drive for *.QBW files. See Display hidden files and folders or search for files using Windows for more information.
- If you have QuickBooks Desktop Payroll attached, verify your payroll service. Go to the Employees menu then select My Payroll Service > Account/Billing Information.