Sending your tax info to TurboTax saves you a lot of time. Here's a quick overview of the process -
- Complete the tax checklist in QuickBooks Self-Employed
- Send your tax data to TurboTax
- Validate your tax info in TurboTax and complete the rest of your tax return
- File and celebrate that you're all done with your taxes!
We also created a Guide to Filing Taxes that you can download and save or print to help you get ready for taxes.
Important: You can send your info to TurboTax only if you're subscribed to the tax bundle. Your QuickBooks and TurboTax accounts must share the same login credentials in order to connect. Changing the login credentials to match will not connect the accounts. Please contact us for help if your accounts don't share the same logins.
Complete the Tax Checklist in QBSE
- Sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed
- Complete the tasks in the Tax Checklist. You can find the checklist
- In the top menu of the Home dashboard
- From Taxes > Annual Taxes > 2018
- Once you've completed your Tax Checklist, select Let's wrap things up
- Review the summary of the data. You'll be prompted to complete any missing or incorrect sections before you can continue.
- When the data is accurate and up-to-date, select Send my info to TurboTax. You'll be prompted to double-check your TurboTax sign-in info, which should match the login you use for your QuickBooks Self-Employed account. If you use a different TurboTax login, please contact us through the Help tab.
- Once you've validated your TurboTax sign-in and your tax info, select It's OK to send my info.
- QuickBooks will redirect you to TurboTax where you will see a page that says "Success! We added your QuickBooks Self-Employed info to your return". Click Continue in the bottom-right to proceed to and validate your self-employed info. You're QuickBooks Self-Employed data will appear once you've completed the self-employed questions.
Note: QuickBooks sends your total income to TurboTax, however, you may see that your self-employment income is still incomplete. TurboTax will guide you through some important questions about your income to report it correctly on your tax return.
Some information will need to be entered into TurboTax as these items require more attention -
- 1099-K Income - How to enter your 1099-K
- For the following expenses, use these instructions to enter the expenses -
- Vehicle loan interest
- Other vehicle expenses
- Home office expenses
- Interest paid
- For self-employment health insurance premiums, use these instructions to enter the premiums.
Here are a few other things you should know:
- TurboTax will recognize that it's been included in your monthly QuickBooks subscription when you send your info to TurboTax. If you don't automatically send your info to TurboTax, you'll be prompted to pay your filing fees. Please contact QuickBooks support if you are prompted to pay.
- Meal expenses are sent to TurboTax at 100% deductible. TurboTax then determines the deductibility (50% for most businesses).
- QuickBooks estimated tax payments generally cover federal income taxes, not self-employment taxes.
For our non-bundle customers:
If you're using an accountant or another tax prep method, we have two reports for you that summarize your self-employment tax info:
- An annual tax summary in PDF format. This lists your taxable business profit and total amounts for each Schedule C deduction category.
- An annual tax details in XLS format. This lists every transaction, grouped by Schedule C category, for the year.
Find these reports on the Taxes > Annual taxes page or on the Reports page.
Disclaimer: You can't subscribe to the Tax Bundle if you signed up for our product through your accountant. They're expected to file your return for you.