Sending your tax info to TurboTax saves you a lot of time. Here are the steps for filing your taxes.
Note: We created a Guide to Filing Taxes that you can download and save or print to help you get ready for taxes.
- Sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed.
- Complete the tasks in the Tax Checklist that you can find
- In the top menu of the Home dashboard
- In the Annual Taxes Page (go to Taxes > Annual Taxes)
- Select Let's wrap things up.
- Send your tax data to TurboTax.
- Review the summary of the data. You'll be prompted to complete any missing or incorrect sections before you can continue.
- When the data is accurate and up-to-date, select Send my info to TurboTax. You'll be prompted to double-check your TurboTax sign-in info.
Note: Your QuickBooks and TurboTax accounts must share the same login credentials in order to connect. Changing the login credentials to match will not connect the accounts. If you use a different TurboTax login, please contact us through the Help tab.
- Once you've validated your TurboTax sign-in and your tax info, select It's OK to send my info.
- QuickBooks will redirect you to TurboTax where you will see a page that says "Success! We added your QuickBooks Self-Employed info to your return". Click Continue on the bottom-right to proceed to and validate your Self-Employed info.
Your QuickBooks Self-Employed data will appear once you've completed the self-employed questions.
QuickBooks sends your total income to TurboTax. However, you may see that your self-employment income is still incomplete. TurboTax will guide you through some important questions about your income to report it correctly on your tax return.
Some information will need to be entered into TurboTax as these items require more attention:
- 1099-K Income
- Self-employment health insurance premiums
- Vehicle loan interest
- Other vehicle expenses
- Home office expenses
- Interest paid
Things you should know
- TurboTax will recognize that it's been included in your monthly QuickBooks subscription when you send your info to TurboTax. If you don't automatically send your info to TurboTax, you'll be prompted to pay your filing fees. Please contact QuickBooks support if you are prompted to pay.
- Meal expenses are sent to TurboTax at 100% deductible. TurboTax then determines the deductibility (50% for most businesses).
- QuickBooks estimated tax payments generally cover federal income taxes, not self-employment taxes.
If you're using an accountant or another tax prep method, we have two reports for you that summarize your self-employment tax info:
- An annual tax summary in PDF format. This lists your taxable business profit and total amounts for each Schedule C deduction category.
- An annual tax details in XLS format. This lists every transaction, grouped by Schedule C category, for the year.
Find these reports on the Taxes > Annual taxes page or on the Reports page.
Disclaimer: You can't subscribe to the Tax Bundle if you signed up for our product through your accountant. They're expected to file your return for you.