QuickBooks Self - Employed helps you track of your vehicle information so you'll have it ready when it comes to annual tax time.
Go to the Miles page from the left navigation menu. Select the green arrow in the upper right corner and select Edit Vehicle from the drop-down menu.
The Vehicle info drawer slides out from the right edge of the app. From there, complete the following info:
- Vehicle's make and model
- Vehicle year
- Ownership status
- Cost of the vehicle (if you own it)
- Fair market value (if you lease it)
- Date purchased
- Date placed in service
- Total miles driven for the year (either by odometer readings or by entering total miles driven)
The Miles page
Track miles you drive for business with both the web and mobile app.
- The web app lets you import mileage you record in the MileIQ mobile app.
- The mobile app uses GPS in your phone to track your trips automatically.
Both apps lets you enter trips manually and always remain in sync, so no matter which app you're using, you'll always have the latest info.
Tip! Trips tracked on your phone appear in the web app with a small map pin on the right side. You can't edit the mileage on these particular trips.
Add a trip in the web version:
- Select Miles on the left navigation menu.
- Select Add trip in the upper right. (If this is your first trip, we'll ask you to complete the fields in the Vehicle info drawer first)
- Enter the date of the trip and description for the trip. The description should include the business purpose and the starting and ending locations.
- Enter the mileage, then choose Save.
MileIQ mobile app
If you're switching from the MileIQ mobile app to track your miles, we've got you covered. You can import a CSV (spreadsheet) file from MileIQ into our product. Select Import MileIQ trips from the drop-down button on the Miles page in our web app.
Note: Be sure to start tracking your mileage automatically on your phone using our mobile app.
You can email or download your mileage as a CSV file. CSV is a universal file format that can be easily formatted or imported into other apps. Emailing is useful if you want to share the info with another person, like your tax pro.
To do either task:
- On the Miles page, select the tax year you're interested in the Timeline drop-down list at the top of the table.
- Select either the mail icon or the download icon.
- For emailing, enter the email address where you want to send the log and click Send email.
- For a download, open (or import) the QBSE_Miles.csv file in your Downloads folder.