This feature is available to you through the Gear Icon, Tools then selecting Import Data. You can also access this tool by selecting Expenses tab, Expenses then Import Bills.
What can I import into QuickBooks?
- Bills can be imported with multiple line items OR as a total value for each bill.
- Multi-Currency is supported
- VAT codes are mapped so no need to change your VAT codes to QuickBooks VAT code formats before importing. For common VAT Codes please see VAT: Getting Started.
- Note: We recommend that no more than 100 bills are imported at any one time.
Upload Your CSV File
- Please Preview what's required to import bills. There is also an example data file available.
- Once you're happy you have all the mandatory fields, please Browse & select your .csv file.
- Note: you are required to populate the Line Account field even if you are only in importing bill totals.
- Next you have the option to auto create any new suppliers that are not in QuickBooks Online. If you would like to auto create suppliers then please tick the checkbox and select Next.
Map Column Headings
- Note mandatory fields are marked as *.
- Select the date format you have used, e.g. D/M/YYYY
- Select your VAT option if applicable; Exclusive or Inclusive (option not available if VAT is not set up in QuickBooks)
- On the final mapping page please map your VAT codes to those of QuickBooks, then select Next.
- At this stage any mapping issues will be highlighted so you can go back and resolve them.
- Mapping completed, you will see a summary of your import as shown below. Select Start Import and the import process will begin.
- Once completed, an import summary will be displayed. Note any bills that didn't import and why, then select Done and you'll be greeted with a final completion summary, select OK to finish.
Capabilities & Limitations
What do I need to know?
- The following import methods should be considered if you have a large volume of new suppliers; Import customer, supplier, or supplier contacts from Outlook, Excel or Gmail.
- Discounts, credit notes and negative amounts in general are not supported.
- When new Suppliers are imported, if no currency is specified QuickBooks assumes the customers home currency is GBP.
- Bills require at least one line item.
- Line [item] Accounts will need to be present in QuickBooks before importing.
- When Bills have multiple line items please ensure each line entry specifies the Bill Number, Supplier, Bill Date etc, as seen in the example csv file.
- Notes for VAT:
- Note:VAT must be enabled in QuickBooks to import transactions with VAT amounts.
- If VAT is not applicable/turned on in QuickBooks then VAT codes & VAT amounts are not required, plus your sample file will not contain VAT columns.
- If VAT is applicable/turned on in QuickBooks then VAT coding will be required, plus your sample file will contain VAT columns.
- QuickBooks will calculate VAT based on the VAT code IF no VAT amount is specified.
- When a VAT amount is specified, the amount will override any calculation that would normally be made by QuickBooks. This allows for any rounding differences between QuickBooks and other 3rd party applications.
- To retain Bill numbering in your csv file, please ensure Custom Transaction Numbers is switched ON
- Select the Gear icon at the top, then Account and Settings (or Company Settings).
- Select Sales tab, navigate to the Sales Form Content
- Click on the edit icon and change Custom Transaction Numbers from Off to On using the checkbox and select Save