If the opening balance for one of your accounts is wrong, you can edit it through the Register (or Account history) for the account.
To edit a wrong opening balance:
- Select the Gear icon at the top, then Chart of Accounts.
- Locate the account, then go to the Action column and select View register (or Account history).
- Find the opening balance entry.
- Tip: If you've got the Date column sorted from newest to oldest, the opening balance entry is likely at the bottom or end of the list.
- Select the opening balance entry once you've located it.
- Edit the amount.
- Tip: If you're not able to edit the amount directly on this screen, in some cases you can edit by selecting the Edit button.
- Select Save. Note that the change will not be saved if you navigate away from the register without saving.
If there isn't already an opening balance listed and you want to enter one, see How do I enter a beginning balance for an account after it has been set up?
If you're trying to edit an opening balance when reconciling an account in QuickBooks Online with your bank or credit card statement, see My reconcile opening balance is wrong. How do I make it match my statement?