Learn how to fix mistakes on your bank or credit card statement.
Occasionally, your bank or credit card company may make a mistake by processing a transaction for a different amount than the amount you wrote. In this article, we'll show you what to do when that happens.
Here's what to do when you see errors on your bank or credit card statement.
- Make an adjustment transaction in the register (or account history) for the difference between what the statement says and what the transaction should be.
- Contact your bank or credit card company and report the error.
- When you receive your next bank or credit card statement, verify that it contains an adjustment for the error.
- Find and delete the adjustment transaction.
- Reconcile the new bank or credit card statement with the account.