Learn how to delete or disconnect a bank or credit card account you use to download transactions in QuickBooks Online
If you connect an account to online banking, QuickBooks downloads your recent transactions automatically. If you want to disconnect an account, here's how:
There's a big difference between disconnecting and deleting an account in Chart of Accounts (COA).
When you disconnect an account:
- It stays active in QuickBooks Online but you stop QuickBooks Online from getting your transactions from your bank.
- You can reconnect the account later.
- Any transactions in your For Review tab will be deleted. If they're older than 90 days, you won't be able to download them into QuickBooks Online again.
When you delete an account from QuickBooks Online:
- The account will be made inactive in QuickBooks Online. You won't see it anymore unless you go to your chart of accounts and use the Settings icon to show inactive accounts.
- If the account has a non-zero balance, QuickBooks Online will make an adjusting transaction.
- Although you can make a deleted account active again, you may need to make corrections to journal entries and balances.
- If transactions in the deleted account appeared in other accounts in QuickBooks Online, the transactions will remain in those other accounts. For example, if you delete a credit card account but you made payments to that card from your checking account, the payments will stay in the checking account with (deleted) next to the credit card name in the Account field.
If you're not sure whether to delete an account, check with your accounting professional.
If your connected account is in the middle of an update, the option to disconnect the account will not be available. Please wait for the update attempt to complete before trying to disconnect.
Important: Do not disconnect an account due to bank connection error.
While you can disconnect and reconnect an account, you might download duplicate transactions or duplicate opening balance entries when the account is reconnected. Instead, try resolving the problem with information in the article Fix online banking errors in QuickBooks Online. If you still cannot resolve the problem, please contact Customer Care.
Disconnect an account
- From the left menu, select Banking, then Banking.
- In the Account window, select Disconnect this account on save.
- Select Save and close.
Delete an account
Important: Be sure you understand the effects of fully deleting an account.
- Go to the Settings⚙ icon.
- Under Your Company, choose Chart of Accounts.
- Find the account you want to delete in the list.
- In the Action drop-down, select Make inactive.
- Select Yes to confirm.
Disconnect an American Express Business account
American Express Business accounts are unique. Since it connects through an app, there's a special way to disconnect them.
- Go to the Banking menu.
- Select the blue tile for your American Express card.
- Select the pencil ✏️ icon to edit the account. Then select Disconnect. This redirects you to the American Express website.
- Use your American Express info to log in. If you need help, use the number on the back of your card to contact American Express.
- Go to the Statements & Activity tab.
- Select Connect to QuickBooks.
- Scroll down the page and then select Disconnect Account.If you followed these steps but the account is still connected, reach out to American Express. Use the number on the back of your card. They'll need your QuickBooks Online company ID and American Express account number.