When downloading a payroll update or opening a company file, you receive the following message:
"QuickBooks can't read your payroll setup files. [Error PS033]"
Error PS033 is caused by a damaged file in the CPS folder.
To resolve this, you may try the following solutions:
Solution #1: Download the latest payroll tax table
- Select Employees > Get Payroll Updates.
- Choose Download entire payroll update.
- Select Update.
Solution #2: Rename the QuickBooks CPS folder
- Go to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20nn\Components\Payroll\CPS. Note that nn is the version number of QuickBooks, such as QuickBooks 2017 or 2018.
- Rename the CPS folder to CPSOLD.
- Update the QuickBooks payroll tax table.
Solution #3: Turn off User Account Control (UAC)
- Refer to Use User Account Control in Windows article for more information.