Stay updated on new features and enhancements in QuickBooks Online! Here are the changes, improvements, and fixes we made this 2018.
On top of the list this year are Progress Invoicing and Projects, two new features designed to help you easily manage all your customer jobs and projects. We've also launched QuickBooks Online Advanced dedicated for business owners who have outgrown QuickBooks Online Plus.
With Progress invoicing, you can now create multiple invoices from an estimate so you can easily keep track of the progress of a particular job/project. It is currently available in all QuickBooks Online versions in the US, UK, Canada and Australia. We are set to make it available in other countries soon!
You can now do job costing in QuickBooks Online through Projects. Using Projects, you can easily organize all the pieces that make up a job including transactions, time, and running reports so you always know how your project/job is doing. This feature is available for QuickBooks Online Plus users in the US, Australia, Canada, France and UK.
We continue to improve the overall look and feel of QuickBooks Online for easier navigation and effortless completion of your day-to-day bookkeeping tasks.
Quick access to Audit Trail
Admin and Accountant users in all QuickBooks Online versions can now easily find deleted/voided transactions with the "View deleted/voided transactions" link in the Filter section of the All Sales list. Selecting the link directs users to the Audit Trail report with the correct filters (Voided/Deleted transactions) already set so you can quickly find the transactions you need.
Void, Delete and Copy option for all Sales and Expense transactions
Action column for All Sales and All Expense Lists now includes options to Void, Delete or Copy. This will help save time as you no longer need to open the invoice, bill and other related transactions then select More to perform these functionalities.
Add an account when creating new items
When creating new items, you now have the "Add new" option at the top of the account list drop-down. This allows you to create a new account without leaving the Product/Service information page.
Better tabbing in browser
Using keyboard to navigate QuickBooks Online? Then this is great news for you! With improved visibility and flow of tabbing in browsers, you can now easily move between fields on transaction using the Tab key.
Consistent Import and Export formats for Customers and Vendors/Suppliers list
We've made the data and formatting consistent for import and export list functionalities. This enhancement makes exporting and then importing customer and vendor/supplier lists easier and error-free.
Fixed column headers
With fixed/frozen headers for Banking, Registers, Chart of Accounts and Lists, you can now scroll down a long list and still see what the data is within the columns.
Enhanced ability to resize column on invoice
The target icon is larger and aligned correctly on the column border so you can easily grab a column on your invoice to resize it.
Better ghost text in activities box on invoices
Not sure what the Activities box is for? Improved ghost/description text gives you better idea about the Activities box so you can quickly decide on the type of information you can enter in it.
Banking and Reconcile
We’ve made adding bank and credit card transactions, connecting your accounts online, and reconciling transactions easier than ever!
Enhancements to Banking functionalities
- You can now match transactions that are up to 5% larger than the deposit amount from your bank and create more than one transaction to resolve match difference.
- When splitting an expense transaction, you can mark it billable to more than one customer.
- Don't like QuickBooks automatically matching transactions for you? You can now turn off Auto-recall for Bank Feed transactions.
Match split paychecks from Payroll (US only)
If you’re using payroll, a split direct deposit for your employee will now show as separate transactions in the register and the downloaded banking transactions allowing both transactions to match directly. See How to deal with split direct deposit transactions with Online Banking (OLB).
Connect Bank accounts through Chart of Accounts
We've made connecting your accounts a lot easier! You can now connect your bank account without going through the Banking setup workflow. See Add and connect your bank and credit card accounts for detailed steps.
Cleared Date Intelligence when reconciling connected accounts
With Cleared Date Intelligence, Reconciling your bank account is smarter and easier than ever! If your account is connected to online banking, you'll see a Cleared Date column which comes from your bank and represents the date the transaction cleared the bank. You will be alerted when there are transaction date and transaction cleared date discrepancies so you can easily find problem transactions.
Hide empty payments table on Bank Deposit
Instead of always showing the "Select existing payments to add to this deposit" at the top of the Bank Deposit transaction, it will only be shown if there are payments or sales receipts in Undeposited Funds. This enhancement makes it easier for you to see the Bank Deposit transaction and efficiently enter data into the deposit screen.
Sending invoices and other forms within QuickBooks Online gets more exciting with redesigned templates and additional features to ensure your email is delivered on time!
Redesigned Invoice Email (US, UK, AU, and Canada)
Correct status for emailed invoices (US only)
You’ll now receive notification and can immediately take action when you E-invoice emails are not delivered because of incorrectly entered customer email address or server issues.
This is currently available in all QuickBooks Online versions in the US. We're working to make it available to other regions soon!
Company email address validation
When company email addresses are blank or in a format not recognized as a valid email address, emailed sales forms (invoices and sales receipts) will not be delivered to customers. In the past, customers wouldn’t be notified that the emails were not sent. Recently, customers will be alerted in three ways:
- Missing company email. Add company email in settings
- Unable to send email. Please update company email in settings
- Delivery error: Please update company email in settings
You can quickly find and manage your reports through the redesigned Reports Dashboard. You can also get more insights about your business with improved and additional new reports.
New Reports dashboard
The new Reports dashboard (landing page), which helps you find the reports you need faster, is now available outside Labs. Access it by selecting Reports from the left menu.
Custom Summary Report (US QBOA)
Users in the US with an active QuickBooks Online Accountant subscription can now create customized reports from scratch.
Bills and Applied Payments & Invoice and Received Payments (US only)
The new Bills and Applied Payments report and Invoice and Received payments report can help you easily resolve vendor or customer balances issues. To learn more, see available reports in QuickBooks Online.
Updated filter for Vendor Summary report
Previously, income transactions without a specified customer show up in the Not Specified line of the Expenses by Vendor Summary report. To correct this, we’ve fixed the Vendor filter so it now defaults to All and only expenses transactions without an associated vendor will show up in the Not specified section of the report.
Group by Customer type on Sales by Customer Detail report
We now have additional filter for Customer Detail report to help you determine how each customer type performs.
Users and Roles
To give you a better "Manage Users" experience, we are launching changes to the way users and permissions are set up in QuickBooks Online.
Custom user with access to All areas except Payroll (US only)
Previously, All Access Rights users can automatically see payroll information and perform payroll-related tasks. With this update, you can now set up an All access rights user with or without Payroll permission.
We are rolling out region-specific initiatives – Automated Sales Tax for QBO users in the US, GST-related improvements for India, and Sales Tax Redesign for Canada.
Auto Sales Tax (US)
- You can now set up QuickBooks Online to automatically calculate sales tax rate based on the physical address of your business.
- Migration for QBO users with one sales tax agency started in February and migration of users with multiple tax agencies started in July.
- If you have set up and used automated sales tax, you will now be able to electronically pay and file your sales tax liability and returns directly through your QuickBooks Online account. See US Sales Tax – E-Filing and Payments for details.
Sales Tax Redesign (Canada)
We are updating the Tax Center to ensure compliance and accurate reporting of BAS/IAS.
- You can now add tax codes to the customer information page. When you create transactions, this tax code will auto populate when the customer is selected and will override any tax codes attached to Products and Services. See Set up default customer sales tax codes for details.
- Journal Entries are now posting on Sales Tax Centre. This enhancement should prevent previous issues when there are differences between the amounts posted in the Trial Balance (which includes the JEs) and the amounts displayed in the Sales Tax Centre.
Goods and Services Tax (India)
To conform with GST rules and to easily generate complete tax returns, we are launching GST-related enhancements:
- Unique Quantity Code (UQC) is a unit of measurement which needs to be mentioned in the invoice or sales forms along with quantity. We now have the option to associate UQC with a product and print the UQC in the invoice. User can now update their custom code to be printed on invoice or other sales form e.g. sq.ft. or Kilos. etc. See Unique Quantity Code (UQC) Support in QuickBooks for details.
- GSTR1 and GSTR3B reports now include credit notes.
- GSTR3B report now covers purchases against accounts.