Capital One Bank has discontinued Direct Connect service shortly, after some delay from the date initially communicated. You need to have the latest QuickBooks patch and updated Bank Feeds settings to ensure smooth transition of your data from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect.
What this means:
- Express Web Connect service will replace Direct Connect and will be available in QuickBooks 2016 and later.
NOTE: The service will NOT be available in QuickBooks for Mac.
- Direct Connect and all online banking services features such as Manage Bill Pay or Transfers will NO longer be supported in QuickBooks 2015 and later.
- If you try to use the Direct Connect features with the Capital One account after December 19, you will get one of the following messages:
This feature is no longer supported
If you are on the latest release, you will get the error "This feature is no longer supported."
Connectivity for this financial institution has been disabled
If you are NOT on the latest version and release yet, you may get, "Connectivity for this financial institution has been disabled."
What you need to do:
To ensure uninterrupted service:
- QuickBooks 2015 users need to set up Web Connect or upgrade to QuickBooks 2018 and install the latest product patch.
- QuickBooks 2016 and later users have to download and install the latest patch from the QuickBooks Download & Updates website. Patches are scheduled for release on the following dates, and the Express Web Connect will be enabled sometime therafter.
Version Release schedule 2016 12/19/2017 2017 12/19/2017 2018 12/22/2017
- All users must switch from the discontinued Direct Connect to the newly offered Express Web Connect by following these steps.
Step 1: Prepare to switch to Express Web Connect
- Back up the QuickBooks company file.
- Make sure you are in the latest release for your version of QuickBooks.
- Ensure you are in Single User Mode (File > Switch to Single-user Mode)
- Make sure you are signed in to your QuickBooks My Company.
- From the Company menu, click My Company.
- In the My Company window, click Sign in.
- Enter your Intuit User Name and password.
NOTE: If you do not have an Intuit account yet or if you do not remember setting up one, refer to Manage your Intuit Account online for guidance.
- If you’ve used online banking services such as bill payment, delete pending online payments or checks.
- Add and match previously downloaded transactions. For detailed steps, refer to Add and match Bank Feed transactions.
Step 2: Deactivate Bank Feeds for the account
- From the Lists menu, select Chart of Accounts.
- Right click the account that needs to be deactivated then click Edit Account.
- Go to the Bank Feed Settings tab.
- Click Deactivate All Online Services.
- Click OK when you get a confirmation that you have just disabled one or more online services for the account but it does not cancel the services with the bank.
- Click Save & Close.
Step 3: Set up account for Bank Feeds
- From the QuickBooks Banking menu, choose Bank Feeds > Setup Bank Feed for an Account.
- In the Enter your Bank’s name field, type in Capital One Bank - New. Note that as you type, QuickBooks displays names that match what you've typed so far.
- If you are presented with a message indicating to please login from My Company sign in, please ensure that you have completed step b before starting this step.
- Once you have selected the Capital One account, you will be presented with Enroll in Express Web Connect screen. Click Continue to proceed.
- Enter your Online Banking ID and Password then click Connect. QuickBooks will connect to the bank’s server and prompt an email to be sent to the email address that the bank has on file, with the One-Time Password (OTP).
- Check your email for the OTP and enter it as prompted in the setup flow then click Connect.
- A second prompt for OTP will be shown. Check your email, and enter this latest OTP then click OK.
- Select the account(s) you want to connect to QuickBooks and click Connect.
- Click Close after the 'Success!' screen opens. Your account has been successfully added to QuickBooks.
Step 4: Download transactions via Express Web Connect
- From the QuickBooks Banking menu, click Bank Feeds > Bank Feeds Center.
- From the Bank Accounts list, choose the account you need to download for.
- Click the Download Transactions button if you are ready to receive transactions.
- You will be prompted for an OTP which you should find in your email. Enter it as requested.
- Once the transactions have completed downloading, click Transaction List to process the transactions as normal.
IMPORTANT: Capital One currently supports security challenge using two methods: One-Time Password (OTP) via mobile/email or answering security question(s). If you are currently using the security question method, we encourage you to move to One-Time Password (OTP).