While working with your QuickBooks, you may get Crash: Com error when you open or email invoices, other transactions, or reports.
Crash: Com Error
This error can be resolved by using one or more of the following solutions.
IMPORTANT: After updating Outlook to Monthly Channel Version 1805 (Build 9330.2087) you may see the mentioned COM error. Microsoft has published a solution for this error. For more information, refer to this Microsoft article.
This issue is fixed in Monthly Channel Version 1805 (Build 9330.2118) and higher. To get the latest update immediately, open Outlook and choose File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now. Then check to confirm that you no longer receive the Com Error.
Perform these solutions in the order listed and re-try the process that prompted the error after each of them. If error still occurs, proceed to the next recommended solution.
Solution 1: Make sure that Outlook is up to date
- Open Outlook and choose File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now.
- Check to confirm that you no longer receive the Com Error.
Solution 2: Set up Outlook as default mail app
- Go to Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs.
- From the Programs list, select MS Outlook then select Set this program as default.
- Select OK.
Solution 3: Add an email account to Microsoft Outlook
- In MS Outlook, select the File menu.
- Select Add Account to start setup.
- Enter the email address you want to add and select Connect.
- Wait for Outlook to automatically detect the right server settings then select Connect.
- Enter the password you use for the email address then select OK.
- Select OK to complete setup.
Important: If QuickBooks Desktop is not able to detect Outlook, (to check this, go to Edit > Preferences > Send Forms > My Preferences tab to see if you have the option to select Outlook) you may need to restart the computer and repair QuickBooks. You may also need to create a new Windows user profile. If the new Windows profile does not detect Outlook in QuickBooks preferences, repair QuickBooks.
Solution 4: Toggle mail settings
- Go to Control panel > Mail, then choose Microsoft Outlook.
- In the Mail Setup window, select Show Profile.
Note: Steps 2 and 3 may be omitted if Outlook is already set as default mail program.
- If always use this profile radio button is already selected, choose prompt for a profile to be used then select Apply.
- Toggle the selection back to always use this profile and Apply.
- Select OK.
Solution 5: Create a new Outlook email Profile
- Close Microsoft Outlook
- Go to the Control Panel > Mail.
- In the Mail Setup window, select Show Profiles then click Add.
- Type the name for the profile under Profile Name and click OK.
- Add an email account to use in your profile by following the directions on the screen.
- Select the drop-down under Always use this profile, choose the newly created profile, click Apply then OK.
Solution 6: Repair Office and run Windows update
Refer to these Microsoft articles for detailed steps
Important: Intuit does not support Microsoft applications and is not responsible for running these tools. If you are uncomfortable performing these tasks, we recommend having an IT professional you have confidence in to do this for you. Some potential risks are:
- Windows and or MS Office errors
- Loss of MS Office license # and unable to reinstall
Solution 7: Run QuickBooks in compatibility mode
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop then select Properties.
- On the Compatibility tab, select the Run this program in compatibility mode for box.
- From the drop-down, select Windows 7.
- Put a check on Run this program as an administrator.
- Select Apply and OK.