For most financial institutions, once you connect a bank account, QuickBooks Online automatically downloads your data each night. If you want, you can manually update these accounts to update any transactions that may have cleared in the hours since the last automatic download. A few financial institutions may work a little differently. For example:
- For some American Express accounts: American Express limits the frequency of automatic downloads. This means QuickBooks Online might automatically download your data 2–3 times a week instead of every night. However, with these connections, you can manually update your account between these automatic downloads.
- For American Express OPEN accounts that are connected to QuickBooks Online with Connect to American Express OPEN: American Express downloads newly posted transactions nightly. However, with this connection, it isn't possible to manually update your account between these nightly downloads.
To manually update your bank accounts
- Select Banking from the left menu.
- Select Update in the upper right. QuickBooks Online will update all your connected bank and credit card accounts. If you only want to update some of them, select to clear the unwanted accounts.
- Select Update Now.
- If prompted, enter your Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) credentials (must be done within 2 minutes of box appearing) and then select Continue Update.
Note: Multi-Factor Authentication is any security precaution beyond just a username and password.
You can keep working in QuickBooks Online while the accounts update, which might take a few moments. QuickBooks Online displays a notification when the updates are complete.
For details about connecting your account, see Add and connect your bank and credit card accounts