This article describes the different reasons why your customer's credit card may be declined and possible resolutions.
- If you are entering an address, you only need to enter the street number. Confirm that it does not have any special characters (e.g., ç, é, ü, etc.) or multiple sets of numbers (123 Adams Ave 456).
- If it is an international card, reference this Cannot take an international credit card due to invalid zip code instead.
- Call for a Process and capture a voice authorization to confirm that you can charge the card.
- Some credit cards, like flex spending cards, can only be processed through certain business types. Give us a call at 1-800-558-9558 to confirm that we have the correct business type code on file for you.
- Contact your customer to confirm that there is enough balance on the card to cover the transaction.
- Contact your customer to check whether or not their employer requires that you enter a commercial code while processing the transaction. You can enter this code in QuickBooks (step 5) or at the Merchant Service Center (step 1.8 or 2.8).
- If none of the above solutions work, request a different form of payment or advise your customer to call the customer support phone number on the back of their card for more information.