This article guides you through the steps in processing an e-Check or scanning check payments in QuickBooks Desktop. For more information on processing an e-Check transaction in your online service center, see Process a payment in the Merchant Service Center.
NOTE: The ability to process check transactions is only available in QuickBooks Payments accounts that have added this feature.
Process e-Check payment
A Sales Receipt is used when there is no existing invoice for the customer in QuickBooks Desktop and you do not want to create one.
- In QuickBooks, go to Customers > Enter Sales Receipts.
- Click the Customer:Job drop-down and select a customer or job.
- Enter the Item, Description, Quantity, Rate, and Amount accordingly.
- For the Payment Method, select e-Check.
NOTE: The Check No field is optional. An e-Check payment is processed without using check numbers.
- At the bottom, select the Process e-Check payment when saving check box.
- Click Save & Close.
- Enter the required payment information:
- Account Type
- Routing Number
- Account Number
- Customer's first and last name
- Phone number
- Customer verification (signed authorization or customer is on the phone during the process)
- Click Submit
Scan check payment
Before scanning checks, run the TWAIN compatibility tool manually to ensure your scanner is compatible with QuickBooks Desktop check scanning software. If you have already done so, proceed with the following steps.
Note: You will only be able to scan personal checks inside QuickBooks Desktop. At this time, there is not option to scan business checks into QuickBooks.
- In QuickBooks, go to Customers > Receive Payments.
- In the Receive Payments window, click Scan Checks.
- A box may appear with a security warning. Click Yes to continue.
- Scan the desired checks and click Next.
- Verify scanned check information by clicking the text boxes with the customer name, check number, and check amount then click Next.
- Record the payment -OR- skip recording the payment so you can do it later.
NOTE: If you choose to record later, proceed to step 9.
- Record check as a Receive Payment and apply to an Invoice or Sales Receipt then click Save & Close to view the next check.
- Repeat this process for each check you scanned.
- Once complete, click Send Checks for Processing.
- Click Close to exit the screen.
- Click Make Deposits if you want to record the deposit now -OR- click I’ll do this later if you like to wait until you have been funded.