You can easily create professional-style invoices to charge your clients for goods and services once your work is done.
In the United States and Canada, you can also apply to enable online payments to your invoices. When you give your customers the option to pay online, you're able to get paid faster.
Get started with invoices
- Open QuickBooks Self-Employed in a web browser
- Select Invoices from the left menu
- Select Create invoice
- Enter the recipient's name and email address
- (Optional) Enter additional contact information for the recipient
- Choose a custom invoice number, otherwise we'll create one for you
- (Optional) Enter a due date.
- Enter a description of the service by clicking Add work. You can break your work down by flat rate, hour, or item.
- (Optional) Select Add line to add as many items as needed.
- (Optional) Add a message
- Select Preview to double-check the invoice before you send it. You may also save it as a draft.
- From the preview screen, select Back to edit to make changes, or select Send if you're good to go
- Mark an invoice as paid
- View it (like a preview)
- Duplicate it (i.e. if you bill the same client or the same services frequently)
- Export it as PDF
- Print it
- Resend it
- Delete it
When you receive your payment, select Mark as paid in the Action column on the right. If you have Payments set up, this change will reflect automatically once the payment is received.
If you're in the United Kingdom, are VAT registered, switch to QuickBooks Online.