When you claim mileage or expenses for business use of your car, the IRS requires info about the vehicle for your annual tax return. We help keep track of that info so that at annual tax time, you'll have it to hand over to TurboTax or your tax pro.
Go to the Miles page from the left navigation menu. Click the green arrow in the upper right corner and select Edit Vehicle from the drop down menu.
The Vehicle info drawer slides out from the right edge of the app. From there, complete the following info:
- The vehicle's make and model
- Vehicle year
- Ownership status
- Cost of the vehicle (if you own it)
- Fair market value (if you lease it)
- Date purchased
- Date placed in service
- Total miles driven for the year (either by odometer readings or by entering total miles driven)
The Miles page
We help you track miles you drive for business with both our web app and our mobile app.
- The web app lets you enter trips manually. It also lets you import mileage you record in the MileIQ mobile app.
- The mobile app lets you enter trips manually too. Even better though, it uses GPS in your phone to track your trips automatically.
Both apps always remain in sync, so no matter which app you're using, you'll always have the latest info.
Tip! Trips tracked on your phone appear in the web app with a small map pin on the right side. You can't edit the mileage on these particular trips.
To add a trip in the web version:
- Click Miles in the left navigation menu.
- Click Add trip in the upper right. (If this is your first trip, we'll ask you to complete the fields in the Vehicle info drawer first.)
- Enter the date of the trip.
- Enter a description for the trip. The description should include the business purpose and the starting and ending locations.
- Enter the mileage and click Save.
MileIQ mobile app
If you're switching from the MileIQ mobile app to track your miles, we've got you covered. You can import a CSV (spreadsheet) file from MileIQ into our product. Just click Import MileIQ trips from the dropdown button on the Miles page in our web app. (And then be sure to start tracking your mileage automatically on your phone with *our* mobile app.)
You can email or download your mileage as a CSV file. CSV is a universal file format that can be easily formatted or imported into other apps. Emailing is useful if you want to share the info with another person, like your tax pro.
To do either task:
- On the Miles page, select the tax year you're interested in the Timeline dropdown list at the top of the table.
- Then, click either the mail icon or the download icon.
- For emailing, enter the email address where you want to send the log and click Send email.
- For a download, open (or import) the QBSE_Miles.csv file in your Downloads folder.