QuickBooks payments account processing is available from within QuickBooks Desktop for supported versions linked to a properly configured payments account.
There are two ways to process a credit card in QuickBooks:
Receive Payment: applies to QuickBooks customers when invoices are used to provide products or services.
Enter Sales Receipt: applies to sales of products or services where no invoice is used.
Follow these steps to complete a transaction using one of these options.
Note that when using Jobs with a Receive Payment and a stored credit card number, only the credit card listed for the actual Customer will be available. Although the subordinate Job(s) will allow a different card number to be entered, it will not appear when an actual credit card charge is processed for the Customer of that Job.
- Log in to the QuickBooks Desktop Company file linked to a working payments account.
- From the Customers menu, select Receive Payments (or Create Sales Receipts).
- When the payment window appears (Customer Payment or Sales Receipt) complete the customer/order information as expected. However, be careful to accurately submit the following items for proper credit card processing (if a supported USB card reader is attached, click the Swipe Card button in either of these windows):
Payment Method (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover)
Make sure the process payment when saving box is checked.
- Card Number/Expiration Date
- Amount of transaction
- Payment Method (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover)
- When finished, click the Process Payment button.
For Customer Payments that do not have an open invoice, a pop-up warning will appear notifying you of an overpayment. Click OK to continue and a credit in the amount processed will appear for that customer when completed.
- Click Save & Close to complete the process.
- If Merchant Services is already deactivated in the Company file, please ensure you uncheck the Process Payment box so you are not prompted to connect to Merchant Services.
- As another workaround, you can try changing the Credit Card payment method to CASH in the Payment Method List. This will gray out the Process Payment box and prevent it from from being selected.