QuickBooks uses several lists to help track transactions and other business activities. These lists include:
- Items (what you buy and sell)
You may notice these names, items, or accounts are missing or blank in several places in your company file, including:
- Centers/Centres (Customer Center/Center, Vendor Center/Centre, etc.)
Intuit recommends more than one solution for this problem. The first solution may solve your problem, or you may need to try all of them to resolve the issue. For best results, perform the solutions in the order shown.
Solution 1: Run the built-in QuickBooks File Doctor
If you are using QuickBooks 2015 and later, you can Use the built-in File Doctor already integrated in the program.
To run the tool, go to the QuickBooks File menu, select Utilities then click Repair File and Network Problems.
Solution 2: Use the external QuickBooks File Doctor to fix your data
IMPORTANT: Do not use the QuickBooks File Doctor on a file that has recently been rebuilt. If your company file has been rebuilt since you started noticing the missing names, you will need to restore the backup made prior to the rebuild.
How to tell if your file has been rebuilt
- Open QuickBooks and your company file.
- Press the F2 key on your keyboard to open the Product Information screen.
- In the Versions Used on File section, look for RB which shows when a rebuild was done.
Once you have the determined the rebuild date and time, restore the backup made just prior to that rebuild.
If you are unsure where the backup file is located, refer to Display hidden files and folders or search for files using Windows for help in searching for .qbb file on your computer.
If you do not see RB in the Versions Used on File list, then your file has not been rebuilt and you can continue with the steps below.
- Download, install and run the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- After you use the tool, follow the instructions you see in the tool:
Restore a backup or contact support if the tool cannot fix the problem
If the tool is unable to fix the problem, you will see an error:
The tool is unable to automatically fix this problem. Choose the option that's best for you:
- Restore a backup company file
- Recover lost data with QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery
- Send your company file to our Data Recovery Team. To request data recovery service from Intuit Data Services, contact QuickBooks Technical Support (US or Canada). Fees may apply.
Finish repairing you data if the tool fixed the problem
- Verify your information is restored. Check the address details of customers, vendors, employees and other names
- Resolve data damage on your company file