Know the answers to Frequently Asked Questions when importing data to QuickBooks Online:

You can import customers, vendors/suppliers, chart of accounts, and product and services in QuickBooks Online using the following formats:

• CSV or Comma Separated Values
    A common file format used for text files that contain tabular data. In CSV files, each field of text is separated by a comma, semi-colon, or other special character.
  • XLS/XLSX
    XLS is the file format of Microsoft Excel 1997-2003; Micosoft Excel 2007 and newer use the XLSX file format.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I have data in multiple sources?

You can import content from multiple sources. For example, if you have a list of contacts in Excel (XLS/XLSX) and some in Outlook (CSV) just go through the import process for each source.

Why is the first row of my spreadsheet not imported?

QuickBooks Online uses the first row of your spreadsheet for mapping purposes and does not import its content. If you need the information from the first row of your file, add a header row to your spreadsheet, or duplicate the first line before importing the file.

Why can't I import a particular record from my contact list?

Remember that you can't import a contact that already exists in QuickBooks Online. Check your current contact list and rename the duplicate name if necessary before importing your file.

My spreadsheet has more than 1,000 rows of data. How do I import it?

We can only import spreadsheets with less than 1000 rows. Split your spreadsheet into smaller files and import the file separately.

QuickBooks Online didn't import all my columns. Where did they go?

QuickBooks Online can only import specific fields for each type of data.

If I make changes to my contacts on the QuickBooks Online review screen before I import them, are those changes saved in my original spreadsheet, too?

No. QuickBooks Online doesn't make any changes to your spreadsheet.

Once I import my contacts, is there an undo or mass delete option if I change my mind?

No, currently there is no option to undo or delete the imported contacts by batch.

Some of my contacts use foreign currencies. Can I import these?

(US, Australia, Canada, Brazil, UK, QuickBooks International only.) QuickBooks cannot import currency details directly from a contact list. If your version of QuickBooks supports multi-currency, your home currency is assigned to all customers and vendors/suppliers. To change a currency during the review stage of the import, click the Currency column and choose the currency that you want to associate with that contact.
NOTE: To do this, you must turn on multi-currency before starting the import process.