Recording a bank deposit in QuickBooks Online includes different features depending on how your transactions were entered. The following sections will show depending on how your transactions were entered into the QuickBooks Online program:
- Add other funds to this deposit: You will always see this section on the Bank Deposits window. You can use the table to create a new Deposit from scratch by choosing the name, account category, and the amount, or to remove processing fees from a deposit
- Select the payments included in this deposit: This section will only show if you have chosen Undeposited Funds as the Deposit to account for customer sales transactions. This section will contain any customer payments that need to be grouped together for a batch deposit.
- QuickBooks Payments: This section only shows if you are using QuickBooks Payments and you are waiting for a customer payment to settle. This section contains payments that are pending, and will be automatically deposited by QuickBooks Payments. You won’t need to do anything with these payments, they will be automatically added to a Deposit transaction for you when they settle.
United States and Canada If you use QuickBooks Online Payments to process credit cards and online invoice payments, QuickBooks Online automatically records those bank deposits for you. For any other type of payment, follow the instructions listed here.
If you want to record a customer payment towards an invoice, do not use the Deposit page. Instead, Select the Plus icon (+) at the top, then choose Receive Payment. Receive payment links payments to invoices, so you can tell which invoices have been paid (and which are unpaid).
When using Receive Payment, if you choose Undeposited Funds as the Deposit to account, return to the Deposits screen and you'll see the customer payments entered under the Select the payments included in this deposit section of the deposit.
To record a deposit
- Select the Plus icon (+) at the top, then Bank Deposit.
- Under the Choose an account drop-down arrow, choose the bank account to which you wish to deposit funds.
- If you see additional options for Select the payments included in this deposit or QuickBooks Payments, check for the transactions you want to deposit. If they appear in these sections, check the box next to each payment you want to include in the deposit
- In the Add other funds to this deposit table, add any additional items to include in this deposit. You can also use this section to account for processing fees by adding the fee as a negative amount.
Note: You can no longer select an Other Current Assets account with Detail Type Inventory as one of these accounts.
- If you are receiving cash back from this deposit, fill in the Cash back fields. Choose Petty cash (or whichever account you use to track cash on hand). See set up a petty cash account for more information.
- (Optional) Print the deposit slip.
- Or, to save without printing, select Save and close (or Save and new to enter another deposit).
If you are unable to delete a transaction that has been deposited, you can locate and modify the deposit first using the Deposit Detail report.