When you try to create an online bank account in QuickBooks Desktop, the following error appears:
An error occurred while updating the branding files! Please restart the Online Banking Setup Wizard to initiate the update process again.
This is followed by:
OLSU-1024 or OLSU-1022
This may happen if the Financial Institution Directory (FIDIR) is not updated to include your bank information or it is not stored in the recommended location.
Intuit recommends more than one solution for this problem. The first solution may solve your problem, or you may need to try all of them to resolve the issue. For best results, perform the solutions in the order shown.
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks to the latest release
- Go to the Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release web page to verify if you are on the most up to date version of your QuickBooks.
Solution 2: Update the Financial Institution directory to the most recent version
- Go to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX\Components\OLB\branding\filist
- Look for the fidir.txt file and change its name to fidir.old.
- Right-click the link to your version of QuickBooks to get the latest file and from the pop-up menu, choose Save Target As/Save Link As.
- The Save As window displays. Select your Desktop as the file location and click Save.
- (Optional) If the Download complete window displays, click the Close button.
- Copy the downloaded fidir.txt file to the correct filist folder:
- Right-click the fidir.txt file on your desktop and select Copy.
- On your keyboard, press Windows+ E to open the Computer window.
- Go to the filist folder:C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX\Components\OLB\branding\filist
- Right-click inside the filist folder and select Paste. The fidir.txt file you copied from the desktop will appear in the folder.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and set up the account.
Solution 3: Repair QuickBooks
- On your keyboard, press Windows + E. (In Windows 8, click the Computer tab).
- Click Uninstall or change a program.
- Select QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change.
- In the QuickBooks installation window.
- Click Next and select the Repair radio button.
- Click Next > Repair > Finish.
If repairing QuickBooks does not resolve the issue, Reinstall using a clean install.
Solution 4: Edit the fidir.txt preferences
- Go to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX\Components\OLB\branding\filist and locate the fidir.txt file.
- Right click the file and select Properties.
- Put a checkmark on the box that says read-only.