You may need to increase available hard drive space or check for enabled disk quotas if, when you open or create a company file, or switch to multi-user mode, you encounter the following message:
Free some hard drive space. QuickBooks is running slowly
The following similar errors may also appear when restoring or creating a backup:
Error: You must have XXX KB/MB available on [Drive Letter] or [\\Server Name\]
Error: There is not enough free space
Remember, if you encounter the Maintenance Alert:
- Clicking the Remind me later button closes the alert window, however the message will appear after 12 hours or until you take action.
- Clicking the Dismiss button closes the alert window and prevents the message from showing up again in the future.
- Alerts are included with the Reminders in QuickBooks 2015 R4 and later. In QuickBooks 2015 R3 and earlier, they are located in the Maintenance Alerts Center. To access the center, go to Company > Maintenance Alerts.
Check and increase the availability of your hard drive space
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo + E to open the file explorer.
- Right-click the hard drive where your company file is stored and then select Properties.
- On the General tab, note the amount listed as Free Space.
- If the amount of free space is low (or is less than 15% of total drive space), you may need to delete old or unnecessary files, or perform Disk Cleanup.
- If the amount of free space is sufficient (at least 2.5 GB), check for active disk quotas. Consult with your computer manufacturer, Microsoft, or an IT professional for further assistance.