We are excited to announce that projects is now live for Canadian, Australian, United Kingdom and United States customers!
Note: Projects in only available in QuickBooks Online Plus
Welcome to QuickBooks Projects! Projects is similar to job costing that helps you organize all the pieces that make up a project. It includes transactions, time, and running reports so you always know how your project is doing. You can quickly access your active projects, assign transactions to them, and get project-specific reports like Project Profitability, Unbilled Time and Expenses, Non-billable Time and the Transactions tab for sales related transactions.
Create and track your projects
Move existing transactions into Projects
How to send us feedback
- Select the Gear icon > Account and Settings or Company Settings.
- Choose Advanced.
- Choose the pencil icon to Turn on Projects.
- Select Save > Done on the lower right corner of your screen to save the settings.
Set up your first project
- From the left navigation bar, select Projects.
- Select Add your first project.
- Enter the project name, and then choose a customer.
- You can add a note now or later, and then select Save.
- Your new project card opens so go ahead and select it.
- Now you can add an invoice to your project by following these steps:
- Go to Add to project > Invoice.
- The Project name auto-populates, so just enter an invoice and then choose Save.
- You can also add other transactions to your project by following these steps:
- Select Add to project and then choose an Expense (Or Invoice, Receive Payment, Estimate, or Time or Purchase Order).
- Enter the vendor/supplier's name, fill in the details, and also include the Project name just to the right of the line amount. (You can add multiple projects on multiple lines.)
- Select Save.
Add a transaction to a project outside of Projects
- Select the Plus (+) icon, and then choose Invoice (or any other transaction).
- Choose the Project name from the Customer/Projects drop-down menu.
- Fill out the necessary information on the Invoice.
- Select Save to save the transaction.
Run Project-specific reports
- Select the project.
- Choose any of the reports (Project Profitability, Non-billable Time or Unbilled time and expenses).
- Set up the project under the same parent customer as the sub-customer. The project must be named differently from the sub-Customer.
- Go back to Customers and choose the sub-customer.
- Edit the name of the sub-customer to the project name and say Yes to merge.
- All the transactions for that sub-customer will now be in the project.