Need help in installing and setting up your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac? Here's a step-by-step guide and some information you need to know before using QuickBooks for Mac.
Note: If you need the Windows version of QuickBooks, please see Install QuickBooks Desktop.
Ensure your QuickBooks Mac Desktop version will run on your computer
- System requirements for QuickBooks 2016 and Enterprise Solutions 16.0
- System requirements for QuickBooks 2015 and Enterprise Solutions 15.0
I accidentally purchased QuickBooks for Windows.
Online purchases can sometimes be confusing. In the future, you may need to check and re-check your shopping cart before completing the order. Please refer to the following window to ensure the product you are purchasing is the correct QuickBooks product:
Prepare your license and product numbers
Install QuickBooks Mac Desktop
Prepare the installer
- Download from the Intuit website Downloads & Updates page, click the Change link and select your Mac version OR
- Use the CD installer (if purchased from a retailer)
Note: If you are trying to download the installer and are experiencing difficulties with the process, you may need to clear the browser’s cache and cookies or use a different browser.
Start the installation
- Close all running applications.
- Insert the QuickBooks CD into the CD-ROM or double-click the downloaded installer. The QuickBooks installation window opens automatically.
- Drag the QuickBooks icon to the Applications folder. The Applications folder opens automatically.
- Double-click the QuickBooks icon to open the application.
Upgrade/Convert your company file
- Open your company file in the newer version.
- When QuickBooks prompts you to update or convert the company file, select Upgrade.
- If you receive a prompt message, click OK.
- Check your balances, reports and accounts to ensure the correct company file is converted.
(Optional) Set up multi-user
- Open the Multiuser folder.
- Drag the QuickBooks Server icon to the Applications folder.
- If prompted, click Authenticate to modify the Applications folder and enter the Admin username and password. Click OK.
- Launch QuickBooks and open your company file.
- Go to File and select Enable Multi-user Mode to share your company file.