There are several situations that may prevent you from choosing Outlook:
- You are using an older Click-to-Run version of Microsoft Office, such as 2010
- Your profile is not set up in Microsoft Outlook
- Outlook is not the default email program
- Outlook selected as the preferred email program in Internet Explorer
- Your QuickBooks is hosted on the Cloud and your service provider does not have Office installed as a hosted application
Fix missing Outlook in Send Forms PreferencesThere are several solutions for this issue. The fist solution may resolve your problem or you may need to skip or try them all to resolve the issue. For best results, perform the solutions in the order shown.
- Make sure you're on the latest update for your version of QuickBooks and have applied all Critical Fixes before you begin.
- If you are sure that Outlook is already set up as your default email program and is supported by your version of QuickBooks, skip to solution 5.
Solution 1: Ensure your Outlook version is supported
Verify the version of Outlook
- From your Outlook's Help menu, select About Microsoft Office Outlook.
- Verify the version information and the build number to determine the version of Outlook that is installed on your computer. Check the corresponding version here
- You can also verify the version of your Outlook by checking your Outlook's Ribbons
- Verify the compatible version of Outlook based on the version of QuickBooks Desktop
Solution 2: Make Outlook the default email program
- Click the File tab.
- Click Options.
- Under Start up options, select the Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar check box.
Outlook 2007 and earlier
- Choose Tools > Options.
- Click the Other tab.
- Under the General settings, select the Make Outlook the default program for Email checkbox.
Solution 3: Set the default email program in Internet Explorer
- In Internet Explorer, choose Tools > Internet Options.
- Select Program Tab.
- Follow the instructions for your version of Internet Explorer:
For Internet Explorer 9.0, 8.0 and 7.0
- At the bottom of the window, click Set Programs.
- Click Set your default programs.
- Select your email application.
- Select Set this program as default and click OK.
- Select Set program access and computer defaults.
- Select Microsoft Windows.
- Click the drop-down arrow and select Use my current Microsoft e-mail program.
- Click OK.
For Internet Explorer 6.0:
- Close and then reopen Internet Explorer.
- Choose Tools > Internet Options and click the Programs tab.
- In Internet Programs, select Outlook as the Email program. Click OK.
- In QuickBooks: choose Edit > Preferences.
- Choose Send Forms and click My Preferences tab.
- In the Send email using section, select your email program.
Solution 4: Edit the Mail Profile settings in Windows
- Close QuickBooks.
- Click the Windows (Start) button and open the Control Panel.
- In the Search Control Panel field in the top left, enter Mail and click Mail in the results screen.
- In the Mail Setup window, click Show Profiles.
- Select the option to Always use this profile and click OK.
- Open QuickBooks and try to set it to use Outlook for email.
Solution 5: Edit the WIN.INI file in Windows
If you are not comfortable editing this file, please contact an IT professional for help.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard (or click the Windows button) and type C:\Windows\ and press Enter.
- Right-click the WIN.INI file, select Copy, and paste the file to a separate location as a backup.
- Go back to the C:\Windows folder and open the WIN.INI file.
- The file will have several section headings. Find the one that says [Mail].
- If there is no [Mail] section, add it to the end of the file along with the text below.
- If the [Mail] section is there, but the text below is not under that section, please add it.
- After editing the file, save and close it.
- Restart QuickBooks.
- In QuickBooks, click the Edit menu, select Preferences, and check the Send Forms preferences. Outlook should now be an option.
Important: If you are unable to edit the WIN.INI file due to Windows user access permissions, please log in as the Windows Administrator user and try again.
Solution 6: Run Detect and Repair in Outlook
Solution 7: Uninstall and reinstall Office and QuickBooks
- Uninstall Quickbooks.
- Uninstall Office.
- Reinstall Office.
- Reinstall QuickBooks.
Solution 8: Resolve with Microsoft
Notes for Mozilla Thunderbird:
- Mozilla Thunderbird is only supported in QuickBooks 2017 and later. Alternate email options are available through Web mail. Please see: Set up your email service in QuickBooks Desktop for more information.
- If you're attempting to use Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Outlook in QuickBooks 2012 - 2014 and do not see it as an email option, please uninstall Thunderbird, uninstall QuickBooks, reinstall Thunderbird, and then reinstall QuickBooks.