When you change your emailing preferences in QuickBooks (Edit > Preferences > Send Forms > My Preferences), Outlook is not showing as an option. This may be caused by any of the following:
- You are using an older Click-to-Run version of Microsoft Office, such as 2010.
Microsoft Office Click-to-Run (CTR) is a way of delivering and updating Microsoft Office to broadband customers using Microsoft virtualizing and streaming technologies. Older Click-to-Run versions of Microsoft Office do not support some integration options for programs like QuickBooks Desktop. For best compatibility, make sure you are using a current version of QuickBooks Desktop and Office Click-to-Run 2016.
- Your profile is not set up in Microsoft Outlook.
- Outlook is not the default email program.
- Outlook is not selected as the preferred email program in Internet Explorer.
- Your QuickBooks is hosted on the Cloud and your service provider does not have Office installed as a hosted application.
Fix missing Outlook in Send Forms Preferences
Before proceeding, make sure you're on the latest version of QuickBooks.
Solution 1: Ensure your Outlook version is supported
- Verify the version of Outlook
- Verify the compatible version of Outlook based on the version of QuickBooks Desktop
Solution 2: Make Outlook the default email program
- Click the File tab.
- Click Options.
- Under Start up options, select Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar.
Outlook 2007 and earlier
- Choose Tools > Options.
- Click the Other tab.
- Under the General settings, select Make Outlook the default program for Email.
Solution 3: Set the default email program in Internet Explorer
- In Internet Explorer, choose Tools > Internet Options.
- Select Program Tab.
- Follow the instructions for your version of Internet Explorer:
For Internet Explorer 9.0, 8.0 and 7.0
- At the bottom of the window, select Set Programs.
- Click Set your default programs.
- Select your email application.
- Select Set this program as default and click OK.
- Select Set program access and computer defaults.
- Select Microsoft Windows.
- Click the drop-down arrow and select Use my current Microsoft e-mail program.
- Click OK.
For Internet Explorer 6.0:
- Close and then reopen Internet Explorer.
- Choose Tools > Internet Options and click the Programs tab.
- In Internet Programs, select Outlook as the Email program. Click OK.
- In QuickBooks, Edit menu > Preferences.
- Choose Send Forms and click My Preferences tab.
- In the Send email using section, select your email program.
Solution 4: Edit the Mail Profile settings in Windows
- Close QuickBooks.
- Click the Windows Start button and open the Control Panel.
- In the Search Control Panel field on the top left, enter Mail and click Mail in the results screen.
- In the Mail Setup window, click Show Profiles.
- Select Always use this profile and click OK.
- Open QuickBooks and try to set it to use Outlook for email.
Solution 5: Edit the WIN.INI file in Windows
IMPORTANT: Deleting or editing the file incorrectly can cause other problems in your system, therefore it is recommended that these steps only be tried by an IT professional.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard (or click the Windows Start button) and type C:\Windows\ then press Enter.
- Right-click the WIN.INI file, select Copy, and paste the file to a separate location as a backup.
- Go back to the C:\Windows folder and open the WIN.INI file.
- The file will have several section headings. Find the one that says [Mail].
- If there is no [Mail] section, add it to the end of the file along with the text below.
- If the [Mail] section is there, but the text below is not under that section, please add it.
Note: If you are unable to edit the WIN.INI file due to Windows user access permissions, please log in as the Windows Administrator user and try again.
- After editing the file, save and close it.
- Restart QuickBooks.
- In QuickBooks, from the Edit menu, select Preferences, and check the Send Forms preferences. Outlook should now be an option.
Solution 6: Run Detect and Repair in Outlook
Note: Office 2013 is supported with QuickBooks 2013 or later versions. You may need to try solutions 1 and 2 again after you repair Outlook.
Solution 7: Uninstall and reinstall Office and QuickBooks
- Uninstall Quickbooks.
- Uninstall Office.
- Reinstall Office.
- Reinstall QuickBooks.
Solution 8: Resolve with Microsoft
Notes for Mozilla Thunderbird:
- Mozilla Thunderbird is only supported in QuickBooks 2017 and later. Alternate email options are available through Web mail. Please see: Set up your email service in QuickBooks Desktop for more information.
- If you're attempting to use Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Outlook in QuickBooks 2012 - 2014 and do not see it as an email option, please uninstall Thunderbird, uninstall QuickBooks, reinstall Thunderbird, and then reinstall QuickBooks.