The message can appear for either of the following reasons:
- Internet Explorer is turned off in the Turn Windows features on or off.
- The version of Internet Explorer installed on the computer is earlier than version 6.0.
- There is an incorrect Windows registry key.
Solution 1: Turn Internet Explorer On
Step 1: Turn windows feature on/off
- On your keyboard, press + R to open the Run window.
- Enter Control Panel and click OK.
- Click Programs and Features and select Turn Windows Feature On or Off.
- Scroll down, find and select the box for Internet Explorer X (where X is 6 pr later).
- Click OK to close Turn Windows Feature On or Off.
Note: You will be prompted to reboot your computer to apply the changes.
Step 2: Verify the version of Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer.
- From the Help menu, select About Internet Explorer.
Note: If Help is not available on your IE, press the Alt key once to show the hidden menu.
- The first characters of the version number must be 6.0 or higher.
- If the installed version of IE is earlier that 6.0, download and install a newer version from Microsoft Download Center
- If the IE version is 6.0 or later, proceed to the next section.
Solution 2: Correct Windows Registry Key
Important: The computer's registry should only be edited by a qualified computer professionals. Editing the registry incorrectly can damage your installed programs or the Windows operating system itself. Contact your system/network administrator, a local computer consultant or Microsoft for more information
QuickBooks Desktop is looking for the following registry keys and values. Edit as necessary with the help of a specialist in this field.
- Registry Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer Value: Version = Version number entered must be greater than 6.0
- Registry Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\Iexplore.exe Value: (Default) = C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (or any valid path to iexplore.exe)
Solution 3: Edit qbw.ini
- Right-click the qbw.ini file and select Open With.
- Choose Notepad and click OK.
- Locate the [Misc] section of the qbw.ini file. If the section does not exist, add it to the bottom of the file.
- Enter IEVersionOverride=600 below the [Misc] section heading on a new line.
- From the File menu, select Save and close Notepad.