Here are your step-by-step ways to install QuickBooks Desktop.
- You'll need to Download QuickBooks Desktop to get your copy. If you've already downloaded it, proceed to step 2.
- Select the QuickBooks executable file (e.g. QuickBooksPro2017.exe) found on your desktop or wherever you downloaded it to run the QuickBooks installation.
- Select Yes to All if How do I update my data to a new version of QuickBooks Desktop? prompted to overwrite the existing extracted files.
- Select Next to begin the installation.
- Read the Software License Agreement. If you agree, select I accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
- Enter your License and Product numbers, then select Next.
- Select the type of installation for the computer.
- Express: Allows the installer to make the recommended choices for you, including replacing your previous version of QuickBooks if you have one. Note: The Accountant Edition does not replace older years by default.
- Custom and Network Options: Choose this if you will be using multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on the computer OR if you will use QuickBooks to share data with other users on a network.
- Select where you will be using QuickBooks. Note: If you selected Express in the previous step, skip to step 10.
- I'll be using QuickBooks on this computer - choose this if you are not using QuickBooks in a network OR if you are installing on a computer that will be used for running QuickBooks but will not store the company file.
- I'll be using QuickBooks on this computer, AND I'll be storing our company file here so it can be shared over our network - choose this if you will be running QuickBooks and storing/sharing the company file on the network from this machine.
- I will NOT be using QuickBooks on this computer. I will be storing our company file here so it can be shared over a network. (A license is not required for this option.) - choose this if no one will be using QuickBooks on this computer and it will be used as a file server to share the company file over the network.
- Choose a new install location. Note: You can browse to a new directory, choose an older version to overwrite, or just click Next to install to the default directory.
- Select Install to continue, or choose Back if you need to go back and review any of the previous screens.
- If any QuickBooks processes were running during the installation, the installer may ask you to restart your computer. Otherwise, select Open QuickBooks to get started!
- After installation, activate QuickBooks and you’re all set. If you run into any problems, see Register QuickBooks Desktop.
QuickBooks Installation FAQs
How do I update my data to a new version of QuickBooks Desktop?
Your data from an earlier version of QuickBooks will update automatically the first time you open the company file in a new version of QuickBooks. Before doing so, QuickBooks automatically backs up the company file in its current version format so you can revert back to the previous version of QuickBooks if you need to.
I have multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop, can I merge or combine the company files?
QuickBooks company files cannot be merged or combined.
How do I move QuickBooks or my data to a new computer?
What are QuickBooks Desktop system requirements?
Where is my QuickBooks Desktop company data file?
Default QuickBooks company file location: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
However, company files can be manually saved anywhere on your hard drive. See Display hidden files and folders or search for files using Windows for detailed information.
What if I have been using Attached Documents?
If you have been using Attached Documents, ensure that the attach folder and your company file are in the same location prior to upgrading your company file to the new version of QuickBooks. If the attach folder is not in the same location as your company file, the links within your company file will be broken and you will need to re-attach any documents you previously used.
How do I set up QuickBooks Desktop on a network?
Can I install QuickBooks Desktop on Linux or Macintosh?
- A Linux computer can only be used as a database server to store shared company data files. For more information, refer to QuickBooks Desktop system requirements
- To install QuickBooks on a Macintosh, you must own a license for QuickBooks for Mac. If you do, refer to Install and set up QuickBooks Desktop for Mac (applies to US only).
Here are other helpful resources around the installation of QuickBooks Desktop.
This article is part of our content on Setting up QuickBooks Desktop.
Are you using the US version of QuickBooks for Mac? See Install and set up QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
We also have more information available if you are looking to install multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions on one computer.INF21767