In QuickBooks Desktop, you can use QuickBooks Online Backup as an alternative to a local backup for keeping your data safe. You need to be a Windows user with administrator rights to install and use QuickBooks Online Backup. Note that you will need your account ID and password to complete the setup.
What is QuickBooks Online Backup (OLBU) and how does it work?
Online Backup (OLBU) and its associated web sites have security measures in place to protect the access, loss, misuse, and alteration of data and personally identifiable information (PII) under its control. It employs sophisticated security measures and uses encryption technology similar to what financial institutions and the US Government use.
The files for backup and the PII gets encrypted before being transmitted to the internet. It is then authenticated and stored in the QuickBooks Online Backup system which is protected by a firewall and restricted by a password.
Install QuickBooks Online Backup
- Download the QuickBooks Online Backup file.
- When prompted, save onlinebackup_quickbooks.msi.
- Right-click the file, then choose Run as Administrator.
- On the QuickBooks Online Backup Setup Wizard, follow the prompts to complete the installation of the program.
- Select Close once the installation is complete.
- Enter your Account ID and Password from the email you received when you signed up for QuickBooks Online Backup, then select OK.
Retrieve your backup history from the Data Center
If you are not seeing your backup history after reinstalling your QuickBooks Online Backup, you need to refresh your computer's Data Center. This process verifies your account information and downloads the backup history database.
- Download the QuickBooks Online Backup Refresh Utility 2.0.
- Select Open or run the tool once it finishes.
- The Online Backup engine will run and download the necessary files to complete your installation. Once complete, you will see your backup sets available for restore.
Update your account ID and password
You will receive incorrect passphrase or invalid account if you try to login using incorrect Online Backup credentials. Run the Online Password Update Utility 2.0 to update the credentials on your system.
- Download Online Password Update Utility 2.0.
- After downloading, select Open or Run.
- Follow the prompts to complete the process.
Request for Password Hint
- Go to your Account Information page.
- Select Forgot your Account ID or Password?
- Enter your Account ID, then select Send Hint. The password hint you selected during registration will be sent to the email address associated with your Online Backup Account.
Note: If you do not see your password hint after a few minutes, check your Junk Email or Spam Folder.
Request a Temporary password
- Go to the password reset page.
- Enter your Account ID, then select Reset Password.
- After receiving the temporary password, sign in to the Account Information web page, then create a permanent password.
- Enter your Account ID and temporary password, then select Edit Account Info.
- Select Customer Profile, fill out the Password and Confirmation Password field, then select Save Changes.